280GTX + WinXP + DirectX

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Hardware
In a nutshell ...I'd like to know what version of DirectX I should be running on this system (see specs in sig).
As it stands currently I have DirectX 9.0c installed on WinXP Home. Since this old 280GTX supports DirectX 10 I assume there is a more current version of DirectX that I can download safely for XP. Problem is I have no clue which version to download. I suppose DirectX 10 perhaps? Just playing it safe.
This is Service Pack 3 btw.

Can someone please help?

Thanks,
:csimon:

Comments

• JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited February 2011
    Unfortunately, XP does not support further versions of directx. For anything beyond your current version you'll need a more recent OS.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Can an OEM version of Windows XP Home be upgraded to "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade"?
    edited February 2011
    I believe you can use an upgrade license on the OEM version, but you can't do an in-place upgrade, you will have to back up your data and have a clean install.
    edited February 2011
    Great a clean install is what I want anyway. However, If I buy the Win7 Upgrade for this machine and upgrade my machine within the next month or so ...won't I need to get another copy of Win7? In other words ...isn't it only good for one system (mobo)?
    edited February 2011
    The upgrade shouldn't carry that restriction like the OEM version does. It should just see your previous install and be able to install again.
    edited February 2011
    I sure hope so. Now I'm thinking about this to go along with the win7 upgrade. That should hold me over for now.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    An upgrade version does not have a one system ever restriction, but it does have a one system at a time restriction. You can perform a clean install with it, and it will support DX10 (and dx11, but your GPU won't support that).
    edited February 2011
    Will that SATAII Vertex 2 listed about outperform my 10K raptor and/or the velociraptor?

Ah ...I found this review which compares rators in raid array vs the Vertex 2 60gb performance.

I figure that I can use this as a boot/OS drive and store my programs onto the raptors.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Your SSD should contain Windows, and any programs that load large files (but don't do a lot of writing). A good example might be some of your steam games, which you can move to the SSD and point back to the old Steam folder with the mklink command. Google that for more info. :)