i-Pad alternative

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Hardware
I am kind of philosophically opposed to anything Apple Macintosh, but let's not get into that debate. The thing is, my wife has a friend/business partner who would like to set her up with an i-Pad - possibly even the upcoming i-Pad 2. What would be a suitable alternative in the PC world that is similar in price and/or functionality, in case I could sway that dude to get her that and avoid lining the pockets of Steve Jobs?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    The Motorola Xoom or the LG G-Slate. The Xoom comes out soon, the LG later. Of the two, I'd recommend the Xoom.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Too bad the Xoom is not comparable at all when it comes to price ($800? REALLY MOTO?)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    T-Mobile G-Slate is coming out soon... It will be 8.9" with 1GHz Dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2. 1280 x 768 pixels Display. It can handle 1080p HD.
    edited February 2011
    Archos also has a decent lineup of Android tablets. Check Amazon for the 70 and 101 Internet Tablets. They don't have Android Market on them by default, but it can be sideloaded easily enough (from what I've read).

That said, the G-Slate (which is the same G-Slate both QCH and Thrax mentioned) looks pretty nice. The Xoom will probably be nice as well, I just doubt it's $800 plus activation fee nice.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Too bad the Xoom is not comparable at all when it comes to price ($800? REALLY MOTO?)

Only for the WiFi + 3G version. WiFi only is much more reasonable. Personally, it's all I would need in a tablet (not that I want a tablet).
    edited February 2011
    I haven't yet seen the price for (or confirmation that they plan to release) a wifi only version. Everything I've read has said they have only confirmed the 800 dollar 3g model that you have to pay for at least 1 month of data service in order to unlock the wifi on.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    My sources have confirmed that Xoom will require paying for cellular data service to enable any data service at all on the 3G model. Given the way such plans work with carriers, it's unlikely those who offer said service will permit cancelling data after a month without an ETF.

No confirmation on pricing though, surprisingly. WiFi may cost the same or even more though, if the 3G is accounting for a carrier subsidy.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Many thanks for all the input. That gives me something to think about. Does anybody know what the i-Pad 2 is expected to cost? Asking for anything more expensive might look a little greedy :bigggrin:

Truth be told, I'd also much rather have a new laptop - mine is an Acer I bought refurb for $350, and having a tablet that cost more than my laptop seems kind of silly. However, since the tablet will be free to me, maybe I should not look a gift horse in the mouth - or at least not too closely :tongue:
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    how much u want to spend? i am in the process of massive product my own design 7"-10" Tablet for student and engineering purpose, range from 150$ to MAX 250$

as i said it is target for engineering student, which means it can at least run autocad, solidwork view port.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I will be thoroughly impressed if you can make a tablet which runs autocad at any kind of usable speed, especially for sub ... 1000?
    edited February 2011
    view port is only for viewing purpose not for on fly editing, meaning it basiclly convert to some sort of document format
    edited February 2011
    Ah. You see, I didn't even google those things, thinking that the comma meant two different programs. That should be pretty nifty.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2011
    My guess is Ipad2 won't be all that much more then the current ipad. Maybe 10% more.

Personally you are getting a feee device. Currently there are no direct comparisons between any of the tablets. They all have virtues that make them different from each other. Where the ipad does win out though is in battery life, screen size and no-contract pricing. It doesn't have flash - I have never had that be a problem and if it is there is an alternative browser you can get that will run flash through some trickery on it. Ipad also is currently winning out on battery life over the other tablets right now by a good margin and the app development is still in the lead.

If you have a hate-on for apple, fine whatever. But the Ipad is a solid very user friendly and highly functional device.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Root a Nook Color with Android 3.0. Win at life.
    edited February 2011
    nah just why root when u can build it from the ground up?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    (PS: not everybody is allenpan.)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2011
    allenpan wrote:
    nah just why root when u can build it from the ground up?

Neat idea, but I've been slowly harvesting silicone from my backyard for years and so far I don't have enough to, well don't have any really.
    edited February 2011
    gerrr i dont mean that, what i am saying is that andriod is open, it is actually quite fun to create a version of yourself, much like using nlite to create your own version of windows,

i am not trying to show off of boosting or anything.... :(
    edited February 2011
    why is everyone so easily offened this day...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    We misinterpreted your "build it from the ground up" as an invitation to build your own tablet, not version of Android. Given your hardware-hacking prowess, you see where we may have gotten off track... :)

I agree that rolling your own Android is fun. Good idea :D
    edited February 2011
    He is also working on his own tablet, but that is another story