“Official” KestrelFlight v2.0 Work Log

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited May 2011 in Hardware
I’ll be condensing the several threads related to this into this one. This will be the “official” worklog for the water cooled version of KestrelFlight aka v2.0 (was know as "No Name" for a while). Here are the components for the build as of 02/16/11………items different from the air cooled version are noted in bold italics.

CASE: Zalman Z7 Plus (without the Plus!!)
PSU: OCZ700MXSP Temporary unless it works!!
MOBO: MSI 890GXM-E65
CPU: 955BE.
GPUs: 2 x XFX GTX 285
MEMORY: G.SKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBPIS 4GB 2X2GB
HDD: WD V’Raptor 300GB
OPTICAL: Pioneer DVR-S18MBK
FAN CONTROLLER: Zalman ZM-MFC3

Water Cooling:
MOBO CHIP SET: TBD if any
CPU: TBD (have an AquaComputer Cuplex XT di)
GPUs: EK Waterblocks EK-FC285 GTX - Nickel / Plexi w/ Nickel Backplates
RESIVOR: FrozenQ Liquid Fusion 160 ml Reservoir
RADIATOR: 1 x 140 / 1 x 240 by Magicool
PUMP: MCP655 + Bitspower D5 Acrylic top + Black Sparkle Mod Kit by Sidewinder
TUBEING: 3/8” ID x 5/8” OD (10mm x 14mm??) Brand TBD
FITTINGS: 3/8” Compression by Bitspower & Enzotech as required for “bling” scheme

Right now I’m still trying to “finish” the air cooled version which is missing some cables I need to order as well as some other “smaller stuff”. However that hasn’t prevented me from doing designing “on the wing” and the following items have already arrived. Also haven’t cut and mounted the window as I may have to modify the cutout to show off some of the water cooling items.

The two Magicool radiators, the FrozenQ reservoir, the converter for the res, 3 x Yan Loon 140 fans, and Phopya fan/rad spacers arrived for performance-pcs just before the weekend. Working with Gary at Sidewinder I ordered a Swiftech MCP655 with some Bitspower goodies and I think it looks just dandy!!

KestrelFlightv20Parts1.jpg

KFPumpModLft3-4View.jpgKFPumpModRtSideView.jpgKFPumpModRearView.jpgKFPumpModFrtView.jpg

Trying to water cool this thing is starting to make me feel like I back working on one of my mATX builds!! Anyway have a few questions concerning fans & rads…………

1. Is there a source for 1:1 patterns for rad cutouts? In this case 1 x 140 and 1 x 280??
2. Bottom mounted rads are intake??
3. Is there a rule of thumb “height” for under the box for said bottom feeder?
4. In the Z7 case part of the “appeal” for me is seeing the green fan up front. Any disadvantage to have the fan on that side of the rad or maybe a push me - pull you arrangement? Ref pic………..

GPUFoldingPrime.jpg

Comments

• jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2011
    While doing some prep work for laying out the rads on both Celtic Spirit (CS) and KestrelFlight (KF) made an interesting discovery.

While using mnpctech's free template http://mnpctech.com/mnpctech_fan_templates_140mm_rads_20mm_spacing_2.pdf made an interesting discovery.........

"Industrial Standards, what farging industrial standards!!" :grumble: :shakehead :hair: :rolleyes2 ;D

It seems while most of the "biggies" use 20mm spacing magicool's slimline 140mms use 16!! However if that is the only problem I have with the rads I'll be happy as their quality seems great and they are a dandy size for small cases. :thumbup

And the mnpctech template...that'll be great for the CS build!!
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited May 2011
    Ahhhhhhhh.....under nothing stays the same.......... ;D

When it finally got around to "fitting parts" in KF v2.0 and CS a "painful" discovery was made, CS even though it is a taller case has just as much room in the motherboard section than KS v2.0. Which means that space for a bottom rad is not there, at least as I would want it, so.............

What was going into Celtic Spirit will now be going into KestrelFlight with eBay** induced changes! :screwy:

General Hardware:

CASE: Zalman Z7+
    PSU: Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus
    CPU: PII X 1090T**
    GPU:2 x Evga GTX 580
    MEMORY: F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD OR CMD8GX3M4A1333C7** w/ ZM-RC1000
    HDD 1: G. Skill Sniper (FM25S2S120GBP2) 120GB SSD** (Primary)
    HDD 2: VelociRaptor 300 or 600**GB (Misc Apps etc)
    Optical Drive: LG BH12LS35 Blu-ray Disc Rewriter**
    Fan Controller: Zalman ZM-MFC3
    Other Front Panel Items ZM-CPM1 with 2 x VPM1s

Water Cooling Related:

MOBO CHIP SET: TBD if any
    CPU: AquaComputer Cuplex Kryos XT
    GPUs: EK Waterblocks EK-FC580 GTX - Nickel / Plexi w/ Nickel Backplates
    RESIVOR: FrozenQ Liquid Fusion 160 ml Reservoir
    RADIATORS: 1 x 140 Magicool & 1 x 420 Thermochill
    PUMP: MCP655 + Bitspower D5 Acrylic top + Black Sparkle Mod Kit built by Sidewinder
    TUBEING: 3/8” ID x 5/8” OD Brand TBD
    FITTINGS: 3/8” Compression by Bitspower & Enzotech as required for “bling” scheme
    FANS: Yate Loon 140mm Clear Medium Speed Fan Green LED
    FAN SHROUDS: Phobya 140x140x20mm Radiator Shroud Plexi