User's Review....ZM-PCM1 and -VPM1

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited February 2011 in Hardware
In building KestrelFlight v1.0 (also know as “As Yet to be Named”) I was able to build an almost totally Zalman unit. I have been a Zalman fan for quite some time so this was fun. One of the newer Zalman products I was able to use is their ZM-PCM1 and associated ZM–VPM1. In principal it seems like a neat idea to be able to see what you CPU and GPU(s) are doing power wise. The units give you a choice of volts, amps, and watts all wrapped up in a 5.25 single bay.

As I and my camera weren’t getting along when I took the initial pictures I’ll be using some “stock” photos for reference.

The PCM1 (CPU) unit comes with the bay mounting bracket with blank covers where one can mount the VPM1 (CPU). Both are attractive pieces of hardware and fabricated rather nicely. To me there really doesn’t appear to be anything different between the two with exception of the bracket. Below are the factory shots of both.

ZM-PCM1_04.jpgZM-VPM1_Parts.jpg

This turned into the typical “read everything before ass_u_meing anything” situation. First off I will introduce you to what didn’t make me happy about these little jewels.

1. You’ll notice the black rectangular thingy in the pic of the PCM1, one also comes with each VPM1. That I shall call the interface block as it is the “meter” that gives the values to the readouts. Which now brings us to #2.
2. A gender bender power cable goes between that and for CPU the mobo’s +12v plug (4+4) and power for the GPU. All of about 6” long and now what really torques me….#3
3. By now I hoped you noticed that there is only on connecter per VPM1, what happens when you have two power plugs? Also what happens when you want to do SLI / Crossfire?? Good thing I ordered two for what I thought was going to be an SLI setup!

Because of the short adapter cable the “brick” for the CPU didn’t quite reach where I wanted it to. With some twisting and shoving I managed to hide it but you’ll notice the double sided tape ended up on the wrong side!

CPUInterfaceModule.jpgTryingtoHideCPUMtrPowerBrick.jpg

With the bricks for the GPU I had wanted to stuff them behind the units but the short cables prevented that. However the interface cables were long enough for me to semi-hid them down next to the GPU. That can be viewed shortly…….BTW here is the brick attached to the 9600.

GPUInterfaceModule.jpg

My methodology is going to indeed be flawed as I don’t have the necessary electronic testing equipment. However I’m not quite sure just how accurate these need to be for most users. For those with the equipment and desire each unit has an accessible rheostat on the back of the unit PCB.

RearViewZM-PCM1.jpgRearViewZM-VPM1.jpg

The following pictures will show how they reacted with a 9600GSO, 285GTX, and a 470GTX.

First off here is the 9600 hooked up, at idle and then running FurMark

Testing9600GSOforWatts.jpg9600GSOIdle.jpg9600GSOFurMark.jpg

Now we go for the 285………..

285GTXHookup.jpg285GTXIdle.jpg285GTXFurMark.jpg

And of course the 470…………

GTX470Hookup.jpg470GTXIdle.jpg470GTXFurMark.jpg

To finish out the pix we have one with the voltages shown (looked about right with HWMon) and “Day and Night” shots of the 285 folding and the CPU (1055T) running Prime.

VoltageLooksRight.jpg285GTX.jpgGPUFoldingPrime.jpg

Just how much these devices are useful will depend upon the user and what they are trying to do. As with most Zalman products they do not come cheaply.

ZM-PCM1 @ 50.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999228&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Controllers+/+Panels+-+etc.-_-Zalman+Tech+Co.++Ltd-_-11999228

ZM-VPM1 @ 40.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999227

What I Like:

Quality
4+4 Plug for Motherboard
6+2 Plug for GPU
Novelty
Bling
Rough idea of what your setup is costing power wise

Didn’t Like:

Could be considered pricey
Too short gender bender cables**
ZM-VPM1 takes two units to do just one dual plug GPU**

**Hope to have a possible solution to this when Performance-PCs does my replacement cables.