SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 review: Triple monitors on a budget

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    The cool thing about the 6870 (and the entire 6000 series, really) is that its multi-monitor capabilities will be enhanced as the DisplayPort 1.2 ecosystem kicks into full swing this year. Each DP 1.2 port on a 6800/6900 Series card can drive up to 3 displays if the monitors support DP 1.2 daisychaining or DP 1.2 hubs, so these cards might support 3-4 monitors now, but up to 6 in a little while.

Ahead of the curve. :)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Fresh from newegg I have a pair of 6850 cards that will be entering my rig in a crossfire config. First time using multiple cards in a home rig, and, obviously the eventual reason is to run three monitors across my desktop. (shhhhh, don't tell the Mrs.!)
  • edited February 2011
    There are customized HUDs for TF2 available, including 5760x1200 at http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/related/dvy5y/i_made_a_modified_hud_for_eyefinitysurround_at/

Just make sure you back everything up; some HUD options may get reset after certain updates. I have been playing TF2 at 6048x1080 (with bezel compensation) for almost a year and haven't had problems except customizing the HUD.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    UPDATE! With the new 11.4 drivers, it looks like making 2+ monitor groups is even easier with AMD Eyefinity. I thought it was already easy enough, but looks like AMD kicked even more ass today. Read about it in our article on the new drivers here!
  • great review, exactly what i was looking for.
    doubt you'll reply in time but which tell monitors do you use?
    null said:

great review, exactly what i was looking for.
    doubt you'll reply in time but which tell monitors do you use?

Hi there! Glad you enjoyed my review. I'm still using the card, and I'm loving it. While it's not one of the current 7xxx series cards, it still handles all the games I play while playing smooth at reasonable settings. For example, Tribes Ascend looks and plays great.

As for your question, the monitors you saw in my review are Dell monitors, models 2407WFP and two 2408WFP's. These were their 2007 and 2008 24" wide flat panels (thus 24, 07 or 08, and "WFP" in the model number).

They're dated by today's monitor standards, but they have a plethora of inputs. The 2008 model has VGA, two DVI's, HDMI, DisplayPort, composite video, component video, and even S-video, for 8 options in all. I had all my game systems, a PC, and a Mac Mini all connected to it -- and that's why I got them.

I'm actually planning on starting a hunt for a new set of three monitors. I hear that HP makes some very nice mid and higher-end monitors. I can't recommend any models or anything, but I'm sure others here at Icrontic can point you the way. Just search around, or post a new thread asking for ideas. If you do the latter, be sure to write what you're going to be using them for the most: gaming, movies, photography or graphic design, general office work, etc. Heck, I will probably be doing just that, myself.

Hope this helps. =D

HP ZR2440W. mmmm.
    Thrax said:

HP ZR2440W. mmmm.

Dat 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio. BIGGER IS BETTER AMRITIE???

Seriously though, that's what I'm talking about. Looks sweet. And the 1920x1200 resolution is a big plus. That's what my Dell monitors are, and I love it. 1080 can suck it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    The HP ZR24w is nice, but gets really hot. Three of them only makes it worse. I don't know if HP has fixed the problem in newer hardware revisions, but I certainly hope so. My office temperature jumps 10-15 degrees when all three displays are running.
    This is pretty common for any high-gamut CFL-backlit IPS panel.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    mertesn said:

The HP ZR24w is nice, but gets really hot. Three of them only makes it worse. I don't know if HP has fixed the problem in newer hardware revisions, but I certainly hope so. My office temperature jumps 10-15 degrees when all three displays are running.

The ZR2740w is LED backlit and doesn't put off much heat.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    shwaip said:

mertesn said:

If only I had a spare $2100 laying around to pick up three of them.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Tushon said:

shwaip said:

mertesn said:

If only I had a spare $2100 laying around to pick up three of them.
    Well the 2440 is also led backlit, and may be a bit more within your pricerange, if you want 3 of them :)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2012
    Dell 2412m only $900 for three of them. does not get hot
    A lot of great feedback. I'm willing to drop up to $2000 on three displays (I'd rather keep that more around $1200), because this is for my professional career. So I'll be taking all input seriously.

Methinks I should start a new thread for this discussion. :D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Drop $1800 and get six of them.
    Okay, I made a new thread to discuss monitor recommendations for a professional graphics workstation, seen here.