Processor Advice

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited February 2011 in Hardware
I'm currently running an old PC which is struggling to cope with the work I'm chucking at it. It's got an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.2 Ghz and 3GB of RAM.

This is a work machine so it's used for Excel, Outlook and SQL pretty much nothing else besides. So no gaming, graphics production etc.

I was going to get a Dell with an i7 processor in it but then Intel pulled a load of systems so I'm sitting in limbo, so, as the PC seems to be getting worse I'm considering other options.

For the type of use the PC is getting what sort of processor should I be looking out for? - Below are some options I considered from Dell but I'm not sure what the benefits of one is over another.

Coreâ„¢ i5-760 (Quad Core, 2.80 GHz, 8MB Cache)
Coreâ„¢ i7-870 (Quad Core, 2.93 GHz, 8MB Cache)

A jump from i5 to i7 but both quad core both 8mb Cache, will 0.13 Ghz make enough of a difference? - Is there something else I'm overlooking?

Some options in a Vostro 230:
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8400(2.66GHz,1333MHz,4M,65W)
Intel® Core™2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB cache)

Just two upgrades (there are loads). I'm guessing the Quad is weaker than the i5 because it's a lower speed and smaller cache?

On some OptiPlex models:
Coreâ„¢ i5-650 (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz)
Faster than the i5 or 7 but smaller cache...

So yeah, I'm not going to run through the whole Dell site and post it here but I'm just trying to find some more information about what specs are likely to make the most difference for the sort of work I do.

Oh and I'll be installing 64bit Win 7 with 6 or 8 GB RAM

Any help, advice, pointers much appreciated!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Desktop Core i5 products don't have HyperThreading. I would recommend an i7 for that reason alone, especially with SQL, which benefits from additional threads.

I'd wait for Dell to get their Sandy Bridge products, back, though. SB is a fantastic architecture that's considerably faster than older i5/i7 products.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Thrax. How would the Sandy Bridge i7 compare to the Vostro and Optiplex processors I've listed? - Considerably better I'm betting?

I'm basically sick of Excel taking about 10 mins for a simple but large range countif for example! Visual Studio also seems very sluggish compared to colleagues who have a newish pc with Win7 and an i5.

I wonder how long I've got to hold out for the new release of the SB though?.. come on Intel!!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    They'd blow the Vostro chips out of the water. As for the Optiplex, it'd be about 20-40% faster, depending on the workload.

New Sandy Bridge motherboards (and OEM products) should be on their way into the channel very soon. 30 days or so?
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    wait for a few week, i think dell is having those small business Xeon workstation going on sale for 399$ again, also go ebay or ieee to get some of those 35%-50%t off coupons