Sony's official stance on Net Neutrality and content blocking

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    If we're talking about neutrality, why does Sony insist on having proprietary formats? I assume this is being done in the name of 'superior customer service.' Maybe things like Memory Stick and MiniDisc do provide a better technical platform than industry standards, but don't the inevitable failure of these niche formats provide a poor customer service for Sony customers?

Aside from Sony's historical emphasis on its own formats, it's hard to take this news without some salt. In 2005, this happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal . At the time I was fresh out of college and vowed never to purchase any Sony product again - it was a betrayal. I'm sure at the time Sony didn't care.

Flash forward to 2011, and my career in IT has progressed significantly. I've been responsible for over $40 million in IT budget, and this number continues to climb today. I haven't spent a dime on any Sony product, not even a single CD-R.

Please take this into consideration when evaluating your net neutrality strategy for consumers. This isn't some battle to be won, you're stating the terms of your relationship with consumers and corporate IT for the foreseeable future. In 2005 you made a mistake that, at least for me, will block revenue to Sony in any way for at least the next 15 years. You've got the opportunity to reconnect with a younger crowd who isn't aware of 2005 or similar events. Don't block yourself out of this next generation like you did with mine, because multiple generations of the Sony-averse can easily become a self-sustaining bias, regardless of Sony's future actions to remedy the situation.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    By the way, I recognize that Sony makes some great products. Want to give you that. My response is usually 'I know it's great, it's a shame I can't buy from Sony'.