High-Pitched Squeal from Monitor

edited March 2011 in Hardware
My screen suddenly began to have as very high pitched:confused::confused::confused: hum. can't get rid of it..can someone tell me what to do... i am a DUMMIE who uses the internet all the time.

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    A quick google search reveals changing resolution or refresh rate can help. Try, and let us know how it goes. To do this, right click on your desktop, and choose properties or screen resolution. Then change the numberxnumber it shows (number being 1024x768, or something like that). Some more info would be good too, like what type/brand of monitor, current resolution, similar problems in the past, operating system, etc..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    If this is a big, bulky CRT monitor, then this squealing sound is typically a warning sign of a monitor that is preparing to die.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    If this is a big, bulky CRT monitor, then this squealing sound is typically a warning sign of a monitor that is preparing to die.
    Many LCD monitors also have built-in power supplies, so it could mean the same thing for just about any monitor. The transformer in question isn't as big as the monster CRT flyback transformer, but they still hum when they're dying.