Buying a Video Camera

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Hardware
Hi!

I'm looking for a small video camera/camcorder for non-professional use. The problem is I don't know a lot about them. What brands are good, what specifications should I be looking for, what should I avoid, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of you with knowledge of the subject, so fire away.
My criteria are: Not too expensive, decent movie quality, easy to learn and use, preferably somewhat water resistant (rain/spray), if such a thing exists.

Regards
Jokke

Edit: If this is in the wrong forum, please move to the right one.

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Maybe I'll go with Sony HDR-CX305E. JVC GZ-HM300 and Panasonic HDC-TM60 are also options I'm considering.

Thoughts?
    edited March 2011
    I went for the Panasonic HDC-TM60. I felt the Sony was a little bit out of my price range and a bit too advanced. The JVC was sold out, so not an option.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Glad we could help!

...wait
    edited March 2011
    It's looking good so far. Been taking a few short clips. Struggling with playback on my computer though. It's skipping and strange lines across the screen. Possibly due to the camera shooting in HD, and my computer can't handle that. Or interference from the ship. Quality is still better then my cellphone:D