how do i set up newer pci-16 video?

edited March 2011 in Hardware
okay.
Im upgrading my system.
amd system
Need motherboard however i want to do like sli. 2 video cards.
however all the motherboards im looking at have like 3-5 pci-16 2.0 on it.
can i use the nvidia gts 260 video cards on a motherboard that has that.

The moterboard i am considering is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157208

and i have 2 bfg gts 260

will this combo work together?
i dont know the answer to the question.
This motherboard has 3 pci-16 2.0
isn't 3x pci-16 for crossfire?
can i put nvidia on it?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    To my knowledge, SLI will not work in any modern AMD motherboard. I'm sure there's a design I haven't heard of, but it's basically all CrossFire, because NVIDIA isn't licensing SLI to AMD boards.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I highly recommend selling the 260's for a pair of Radeon 6850's. The croosfire scaling is unbelievable, and the price is right.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Here are a couple of NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI boards that would probably do what you are requesting. Please consider other options as well.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    It's also worth noting that 980a is an ancient chipset at this point.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I would also point out the MSI Fuzion from MSI which uses the Hydra chipset, but honestly, Crossfire scaling is so amazing on the six thousand series cards crossfire just feels like a better long term solution to me.

Dual GTX260's are very nice, but if your backing yourself into a dead end motherboard, you will regret it six months from now. My recommendation, sell the GTX260's to someone looking to finally upgrade an old 8600 or 8800 set up on a budget then go crossfire for the long haul.