data recovery from a western digital mybook

edited March 2011 in Hardware
Ok so I'm not amazing at computer stuff but I've done things that amaze myself both good and bad.

first off I needed to put windows 7 onto a thumb drive to install to my moms laptop which has a broken disk drive. so I followed these steps (a few times since I had trouble with the first install of windows) in command prompt to reformat my thumb drive and then enable it to be bootable blah blah blah

DISKPART
List Disk
SELECT DISK 1
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT

the second time I did it the thumb drive had mysteriously vanished from my usb port and my 640gb mybook then became disk 1. not realizing this I ended up formatting it at this "FORMAT FS=NTFS" command from fat32 to ntfs but the process only got 13 percent complete before I realized what I had done, freaked out and canceled the process.

the drive was then unrecognized by computer so I had to use my moms computer to work on recovering the data. I've tried at least 3 different top rated recovery softwares and have recovered the majority of my data.

but certain file formats are mysteriously missing oddly enough the ones that I had the most of by far.

mainly
.doc (word documents)
among a few other very important (To me) file formats that are related to my music programs such as

.gp5
.ses
.flp

I fear that since this was an external drive these files are listed as unformatted or they are simply raw files being interpreted by the programs as .gp5 etcetera

sorry for the long message but after so much success in recovering my files my work seems to be in vain because the files that have been recovered are in all honesty, very easily replaceable. but those specific formats are not since they contain my own work.

if anyone has any tips as to what I can do I would more than appreciate it.