5870 aftermarket coolers

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Hardware
My 5870 cooler is making a god-awful noise, so I'm looking for an aftermarket cooler for a radeon 5870 that only uses 1 extra slot - I have a CF setup and I only have space for a 2-slot cooler (like the stock cooler), not a 3 slot cooler.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I have a thermalright hr-03 gt laying around that you can have + shipping if it will work. I am not sure if it will fit that card. Let me know.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Mine has been getting hotter than usual recently, as well. Had to boost the fan speed to 50% minimum to prevent artifacting and hard locks in games. I will also follow this thread for recommendations. :)

Thanks shwaiples.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    The problem isn't really that it's getting hotter than normal, but that the fan is dieing so I get super loud buzzing when I boot sometimes.

I've heard good things about the arctic cooling accellero coolers. I bought a zalman vf3000a for the lower CF card, and it seems to work nicely.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    most, if not all of those take up 2 additional slots.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Not sure about mm to slot dimensions

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/vga/002/scvms1000_detail.html

alternatively, go to a liquid solution.
    edited March 2011
    I just pulled the 5870 from my rig. Just too noisy :(
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Mine has thoroughly died after the Catalyst 11.2 update. I think it was on its last legs before, but now I'm artifacting and crashing out on even a single monitor even if the card's at 70% fan (which sounds like a freaking jet engine).

New card here I come. :/