media server and dvd collection

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Science & Tech
I bought a 1.5tb external drive to use to store all my music and DVDs on. I want to have exact copies of my DVDs on this new drive, menus, chapters, 5.1 surround sound, just as if I was actually popping in the dvd in my blu-ray player.

What software would you recommend to do that?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Depends on how large you want these files to be. The MKV and OGM containers support 5.1 audio, subs and chapters, but it can be a pain to bring these features out.

If you're not concerned about a movie running you ~4.5GB a crack, I'd process the DVD with DVD shrink and save the ISO to disk. It'll weigh in around 3.8-4.6GB, give you all the DVD options and be playable from VLC, most HTPC front-ends or MPC-HC with all features intact.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I should have been more specific, sorry. I need to be able to import it into itunes as I will be streaming it to an apple tv.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    As far as I am aware, the only video format iTunes supports is the .MP4 format, which cannot contain anything but video+audio. It doesn't support MKV, DiVX Plus HD, OGM or ISOs, which are the only chapter/sub/multi-channel audio-capable formats.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2011
    This is what you want to do. Install VLC if you haven't yet. Then install handbrake. Use handbrake to rip the dvd's to appleTV format it's an option in the list. As Thrax said you won't be able to get any options off the dvd or anything else but the movie itself. That's all that it will understand.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    What kryyst said is the easiest solution for the person looking to just "get it off the disc" without investing a lot of time in creating samples to minimize file size.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I just used handbrake to rip my whole DVD collection recently. Brilliant program. Gave me damn good quality using the x264 codec and AAC audio. Only problem, I couldn't get it to work with commercial DVDs under Windows. From what I read, it's not possible to do so either at this time. Luckily I just rebooted my laptop into Ubuntu and ripped them there.