mITX vs mATX for NAS

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited April 2011 in Hardware
Okay here I go on another wild hair (hare?!?)……while I still haven’t even come close to finishing Celtic Spirit (CS), KestrelFlight (KF), or the rebuild of the wife’s Oz1a I want………

With the water cooling attempts of both CS & KF I’ve lost room for my 2 x 1TB HDDs that I planned for RAID1 storage and file sharing. Also because of this my “print server” has gone poof. So…….

Guess I want a NAS (Nominal As hat Stupidity)? As I would “need” an enclosure that will be file storage (sharing) and function as a printer server, something more than just a four bay external enclosure is needed, correct??

Now on to the mITX vs mATX game. While mITX looks neat, most if not all cases that are large enough to hold four 3.5” HDDs require a second mortgage AND look to be as large as a standard mATX. Because of this and the fact I believe I have a mATX mobo and case floating around is there really any advantage of going the mITX route?

From what I’ve read so far it doesn’t take much hardware to build one. I should have on hand:

1. mATX mobo (AM2+ & AM3)
2. AM3 140 Sempron & 720BE
3. XP Home / Pro
4. Several sticks of DDR2 & 3 RAM
5. 2 x 1TB Blacks
6. Also for a NAS wouldn’t on board graphics be enough?

Comments