[WARNING: SPOILERS] Portal 2 discussion thread

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Gaming
So now that a few of us have finished Portal 2, I wanted to create a thread for us to discuss the game away from the ARG thread so we don't gum it up with spoilers and off-topic. So let's talk controversies, secrets, hidden meanings, the bigger picture, and whatever else this wonderful game has filled our minds with.

*HERE BE SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK*

So I was pretty surprised to see just how relevant the whole potato thing actually was. From the "bring your kid to work day" potato battery projects all over the labs, to the obvious bit of GLadDOS being a potato. Among the children's projects, there was one that was unique - it looked like a potato had grown into some sort of a tree. Did any of you take a close look at what name is on that project?

potato.jpg

Oh snap.

Lots of people are tossing around rumors as to who Chell's parents are, especially with that little tantalizing bit of info. I don't believe the talk that Caroline and Cave Johnson are her parents. If I were to subscribe to one of the parents conspiracy theories, I'd buy into the fact that Alyx Vance and Chell share the same parents, if anything because they're both a touch black/asian mix, and we know Eli married an asian woman. This is unlikely though, with the timeline and all.

Also, bonus potato in the 1950's waiting room trophy case:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/719325/sp_a3_030040.jpg

It was interesting to hear how Aperture and Black Mesa's competition continually chipped away at Cave Johnson and the company. Did anyone notice all the 2nd place trophies in this case? Aperture was definitely ahead of Black Mesa when it came to portal technology (one of the many reasons why the residence cascade happened in HL1), but Cave was driven mad by his hatred of Black Mesa. Everything fell apart before they could be successful with the portal technology.

sp_a3_030042.jpg

And finally, one more really interesting bit that I found in that trophy case - Aperture Science is located near the UP of Michigan:

sp_a3_030041.jpg

Frigging Valve. So good.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Should use spoiler tags, this stuff will show up on the front page.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    lol. one day after the game is released and we have the spoiler thread.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Idea for EPIC 2011 scavenger hunt - find the entrance to <strike>Aperture</strike> Wheatley Science Laboratories

You win regardless of other people's scores.
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited April 2011
    I think it's in room 11 of chapter 5. When Wheatley forgets the exit door and pulls the room apart, one of the testing robots can be seen for a second. I'll screen cap it tonight, also finding the dry dock for the Borealis was really cool.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    It's not "near" the UP, it's an old salt mine IN the UP. Aperture Science! That's #puremichigan
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Yep just found Dry Dock for Borealis. But lets not get Lynx's hope up.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    So Cave Johnson looks suspiciously like someone I know in real life named Bill Mason O.o

92F8BDAB0B7735DD12432681196C3DEA373D8668
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited April 2011
    cola wrote:
    So Cave Johnson looks suspiciously like someone I know in real life named Bill Mason O.o

That's who he reminded me of! I coulodn't figure out for the life of me where i had seen that face.
    edited April 2011
    quick someone shoop a "here" under his name plate.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Whoops, sorry about that, I didn't consider using the spoiler tags. My bad.

I couldn't stand seeing those pictures of Cave Johnson. In my mind, he MUST look like JK Simmons.

jk_simmons.jpg
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    red-alert-simmons.jpg
    Did someone say my name?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i8glYx2qQx4&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited April 2011
    That player seemed ungood.
    edited April 2011
    Beat it today.

The last battle was easier, IMO, than Portal 1's, and the final step was ... WHOA WTF... Yeah, that just happened.

Ending credits were just as, if not slightly more, satisfying than Portal 1's :)
    edited April 2011
    Beat it today.
    Ending credits were just as, if not slightly more, satisfying than Portal 1's :)

That's what they were counting on
    edited April 2011
    Beat it today.

The last battle was easier, IMO, than Portal 1's, and the final step was ... WHOA WTF... Yeah, that just happened.

I have to say, that was the most satisfying way to beat a boss ever. Also lulzy. I should have guessed that would happen when they mentioned what the portal paint was made of.

As for the credits... I was disappointed in them. They were amusing but nowhere near as amusing as the classic "Still Alive". Of course, I don't think it's possible to one-up the hilarity that song brought to the table.
    edited April 2011
    The ending song is really growing on me. I love Jonathan Coulton's use of surprising minor chord changes.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVVZaZ8yO6o?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVVZaZ8yO6o?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I think my favorite part was getting to see the old test spheres, from before the panel system was invented. Seeing the retro versions of the elements in the modern test-chambers really deepened the mythology for me.
    edited April 2011
    <object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bcKWtyUBp8?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bcKWtyUBp8?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
    edited April 2011
    CB wrote:
    I think my favorite part was getting to see the old test spheres, from before the panel system was invented. Seeing the retro versions of the elements in the modern test-chambers really deepened the mythology for me.

Totally agree. Seeing the age was both fascinating and heart breaking. So good.

Agreed also on "Want you Gone". I love listening to it. I remember when i first beat Portal and heard that song, I knew immediately that it was special. The first thing I did the next morning was find that song on YouTube and listen to it, just captivated by it and what the whole game represented. I had fallen in love with it.

I found myself doing the exact same thing with "Want you gone". I listen to it daily, it's a great tune.

Did anyone find the Rattmann room near the beginning of the game with a radio playing The National's "Exile - Vilify"? Here's a video if you missed it:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ghgmi2cm9b4?rel=0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I first found this, hearing the song while looking at those desperate images painted by Rattmann, and thinking about the pure isolation of the game, it actually made me tear up.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    I really, really, want to make new tests for other people to try and vice versa. I enjoyed the level design in this game... it was actually quite challenging.

I am currently playing through the developer commentary version... I didn't want the game to end, so maybe I'll find something interesting out... for example: it took 92 days to solve the opening sequence simulation.
    edited April 2011
    for example: it took 92 days to solve the opening sequence simulation.

92 days to calculate the simulation for the physics and such? Or 92 days to design it?

I really need to play it with the commentary.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    The turret opera was, in a word, flawless.

Also enjoyed reading the comics all at once in the extras and how Chell came to be chosen. I feel like I missed a lot of the hidden rooms, though. I think I only found two or three scrawlings, and there have to be more.
    edited April 2011
    Oh man... I laughed SO HARD during the turret opera. I was dying. Sheer brilliance
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    It was in Spanish, too. Just fantastic.
    edited April 2011
    Considering it was 7:00 ish when I saw the opera, needless to say my mind couldn't really comprehend what was happening so I giggled hysterically.
    edited April 2011
    Well that didn't take long

fanart_portal488.jpg
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Portal - October 2007
    Today - April 2011

You sure?
    edited April 2011
    If I were still in college, I'd print that large format and hang it on my wall in spite of all the idiots with that original poster hanging.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    92 days to calculate the simulation for the physics and such? Or 92 days to design it?

I really need to play it with the commentary.

To compute the simulation. Its early on in the commentary. Amazing what it takes to run something that is easily taken for granted.