My 1st tube of AS3 -- not impressed

edited June 2003 in Hardware
This is my first tube of AS3, up til now I'd always used Antec Reference Silver Thermal.

I'm not impressed. Using the same techniques for application, I got temps 10 C higher with the AS3 than with the Antec.

I just got through calling a friend who still works at best buy, he's getting me another tube of the Antec.

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2003
    Wow 10* seems like an enormous difference for any sort of thermal material. Did you make sure to thoroughly clean the die before applying the AS3?

Perhaps it was just a bad tube, but generally i've found my AS3 to perform better than anything else i've used on a variety of HSF's. What HSF was this on?
  • edited June 2003
    Yeah, I used Isopropyl to clean 'em. I've noticed higher temps on both my Barton 2500 and my parents pally 1800

I moved the SLK-700 from mine to my parents and put my new SLK-800 on mine.

The temps are consistently higher even with multiple cleans and re-applications.

The only thing I could think of was that it might be that I'm using too much. But I'm not using any more than I use of the Antec.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Hmm never heard of this before. About how much did you apply? I'm sure you didn't put to much since you have done it before.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    Did you let AS3 to break in?

From articsilver.com
    Due to the unique shape and sizes of the silver particles in Arctic Silver 3, it will take a up to 200 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) The CPU's temperature will drop as much as 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period.
    This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer.
    Have you tried to apply an even smaller amount of AS3?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    Wonder why :scratch:.
  • edited June 2003
    I've tried everything from a mostly transparent film to a thin yet opaque film, no dice, temps are still higher than I'm used to.

I guess its possible I got a bad tube..??? anyway it goes, I'm switching back to Antec.