Nintendo officially confirms Wii successor

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI
edited April 2011 in Gaming

Comments

  • vinsanity0723vinsanity0723 Troy, NY
    edited April 2011
    I wonder if Nintendo intended to release this info before E3 or they were just forced to based on the amount of rumors flying around.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited April 2011
    It lines up with their investors call. Wii sales have been poor. They needed to tell their investors something. Can't do that without the public finding out. Better to just make it an official announcement.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    edited April 2011
    The rumor mill can be a dangerous place, and can create ill will toward a company if the release doesn't live up to the completely unfounded speculation.

    By stating "We're going to show you what the new one will do in a little over a month", they can slow the rumors and create the expectation that all will be revealed.

    Few things can kill a product faster than extreme expectations that are not met.

    Edit: Also, it helps to build anticipation by putting a (however nebulous) release date. Wii sales have been flagging of late, but so have sales for the other two consoles. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some sort of announcement from Sony and/or Microsoft about at least a partial refresh of the platform sometime in 2012.
  • edited April 2011
    Unless they actually increase the hardware spec for this next generation, the only advance in control that Nintendo can accomplish is the next logical step: MIND CONTROL.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited April 2011
    If you read the rumors, and most of them are looking pretty solid (leaked slides from developer conferences, etc.), the advance will be a whole new handheld model of gaming: Each player has a full console in the palm of their hand. You can choose to play on the big TV, or run the console headless and stream the entire HD stream to your controller (which has an HD screen on it)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri
    edited April 2011
    If that's the case, they better call it the Pii-Wii.
  • edited April 2011
    Seriously, what entertainment company has innovated more in the last several years than Nintendo? I can't wait to see what they will do next.
  • TimTim Southwest PA
    edited April 2011
    The new console will be called the Woo. Short for "Wii 2".
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited April 2011
    P-NES.

    Can't wait to spend $150 per controller.
  • edited April 2011
    WiiDS?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited April 2011
    WiiS?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep
    edited April 2011
    I stuck a Wii sticker on my DS and called it a WiiS
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited April 2011
    (That's what she said!)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited April 2011
    Am I the only one that could not give a crap about screens in the controllers? The controllers will be expensive, likely fragile, and bulky either in size or weight.

    I don't know. The thought of it seems to me like they're just trying too hard to differentiate.

    But hey, it'll remove split screen "Screen peek", but the Wii didn't really have any games where that became a problem anyways.

    I'll still pay close attention to this regardless, and I will probably end up buying it, but these are just the thoughts that I've had.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    edited April 2011
    I'm withholding judgement until I get my hands on it (hopefully) at E3. It seems like one of those things that could be a fantastic idea if executed properly. The problem is, that execution is exceedingly difficult and it's really easy to miss the mark.
  • edited April 2011
    Nintendo will differentiate, then Sony and Microsoft will do their best to copy its success. Bobby, why would you assume the controllers to be fragile? You know full well, if any console manufacturer builds em to last its the big N.

    I honestly can't wait to see it.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited April 2011
    Haven't wanted a Nintendo system yet. Don't think I'll start now. Just me.
  • edited April 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Am I the only one that could not give a crap about screens in the controllers? The controllers will be expensive, likely fragile, and bulky either in size or weight.

    I don't know. The thought of it seems to me like they're just trying too hard to differentiate.

    But hey, it'll remove split screen "Screen peek", but the Wii didn't really have any games where that became a problem anyways.

    I'll still pay close attention to this regardless, and I will probably end up buying it, but these are just the thoughts that I've had.

    You're only allowed to buy it if they stick with AMD for graphics (ooh maybe they'll use an APU in this gen) - if they choose nVidia this time and you buy it, that would be like a Ben & Jerry's employee buying Dippin Dots.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited April 2011
    GHoosdum wrote:
    You're only allowed to buy it if they stick with AMD for graphics (ooh maybe they'll use an APU in this gen) - if they choose nVidia this time and you buy it, that would be like a Ben & Jerry's employee buying Dippin Dots.


    Haha. Rumors point to them going with AMD once again, so I don't think I have to worry about that. We roll deep with the big N.
    Bobby, why would you assume the controllers to be fragile? You know full well, if any console manufacturer builds em to last its the big N.

    Well, I dunno, it's a frigging HD display? It only has to be the slightest bit fragile to present problems. Think of any console controller you've ever had ever. They get banged around, dropped, kicked, shaken, stepped on, spilled on, Lord knows what else. The consoles stay safe because they're away from the users, sitting in an entertainment center or something. The controlers are always in the danger zone, and they're constantly getting messed with. Nintendo has done well with durability (especially considering the Wiimotes getting thrown around all the time), but HD displays are a different ballgame.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited April 2011
    tumblr_lbqg10tZyq1qbwtq5o1_500.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    I saw a grainy photo of some kind of pre-release material that said each controller would be representing 1/4 of the HD display - so each would be roughly 480x270px; that's somewhere between QVGA and HVGA, or roughly between a palm pilot and an iPhone in resolution.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana
    edited April 2011
    awww I am going to miss all the "playing with my Wii" jokes... HAHAHAHAHAA
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited April 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Haven't wanted a Nintendo system yet. Don't think I'll start now. Just me.

    You're not alone, but in the last generation's case it was mostly because we weren't the target market.
    Am I the only one that could not give a crap about screens in the controllers?

    No. I see some interesting possibilities for control schemes in games, since essentially it sounds like a blank 6'' touchscreen slate to do whatever on, but it will likely become just as gimmicky as the Wii remote did (outside of first party titles).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

    @primesuspect said:
    If you read the rumors, and most of them are looking pretty solid (leaked slides from developer conferences, etc.), the advance will be a whole new handheld model of gaming: Each player has a full console in the palm of their hand. You can choose to play on the big TV, or run the console headless and stream the entire HD stream to your controller (which has an HD screen on it)

    That's the Switch, Brian. You're describing the Switch.

    GHoosdumUPSLynx
Sign In or Register to comment.