Can't save anything to the CD drive!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
:mad2:

This makes no sense. I've been saving stuff by using the same method to my D drive (CD/RW - DVD drive) for a long time now, and all of a sudden it won't save anything.

I right click on the file, and then select Send To << D drive, and the files get copied. But now it refuses to. I get a window that says "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file". It gives me the option to retry, but that does no good.

Even using the Copy and Paste method doesn't work.

I tried doing several System Restores, but it won't Restore to any date in the last 2 months. It keeps talking about the E: drive being unplugged at some time since then.

What the hell is wrong with this POS? It worked great until about a month ago! Dell Dimension 2100, just over 2 years old now.

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2004
    Is that on a windows XP box?

A quick stab in the dark would be maybe a virus?

The reason I say that is that if its XP one of the first places a virus hits is the restore feature in XP. I have seen it remove all of the restore points in the system.

Another thing that it could be is if your E: drive is not the same drive that your OS is on, your E: drive might have failed. Depending on the type of drive its totaly possible that it could fail in the first 2 years. In that case most decient drives are warrantied for at least 3 years so an RMA should fix that or contact Dell...

Can you copy from your OS drive to your CD/RW?

If your E: drive is the same as your OS and you can boot and stuff then I would have to lean towards a viurs again, as you say that it just stopped working in the last month... That would mean that some how windows got hosed.

Any new driver or BIOS updates that might be causeing it?

"g"
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    My C: and E: drives are both Seagate Barracudas, a 20 and an 80.

I got it to copy the CD. The first time I'd tried it, I started saving the music files as an audio CD, then somewhere in the process the computer shut down and restarted. Then it would not save anything to the CD, even though the CD showed it was empty.

I used another blank CD and saved the music files as a data CD, and it worked. 140 songs on one CD. And about 160 MB to spare. Compressed, but they sound good.

Then I went and saved the high and low bit rate versions of my webshow, #'s 41-49 to another CD mostly just to test it. It also worked.

But the System Restore problem still bothers me. I've got Spybot Search and Destroy and Spy Sweeper on my computer, along with Norton SystemWorks, and none of them are showing any viruses.
  • edited February 2005
    I have the exact error when trying draging files to my DVD+RW drive to be burned. I did try usin Nero and also got an error when burning. However, I don't think it's cause by a virus. I have several versions of my OS as images using Symantec Ghost and none of them works. I tried all my versions of images including one version that is about a year old and still not working.
  • RJDRJD
    edited March 2005
    I am having the same problem on two CD/DVD Drives. I have tried updating the drivers and firmware without success. The only clue I have is that I updated a program called Beyond TV, which caused my PC to reboot in safe mode. I uninstalled Beyond TV and that is when my problem started. Any chance that something similar happened to you before the problem started?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    In my experience (which is riddled with problems) I've found that when you have the combo drives they get screwed up and dont know what they are doing, im not sure what the exact phrase for this is but ive had it happen to me and friends, usually on cheaper/generic drives. It could also be a virus...I supose, although I'm not aware of a virus that targets the optical drives of all things, but it could have crippled something in the windows....if you have another drive try to swap it out and see if the problem persist. If it doesn't then the problem was most likely the drive, if it does, then it could be a lot of different things, I would swap out IDE cable first, as unlikely as it is it might be..when you eliminate everything that isn't the problem you are left with the problem.
  • edited March 2005
    In my experience (which is riddled with problems) I've found that when you have the combo drives they get screwed up and dont know what they are doing, im not sure what the exact phrase for this is but ive had it happen to me and friends, usually on cheaper/generic drives.

What do you mean by this? You mean if you have two drives on one computer that both write to disc?

I have a dvd-rw and a cd-rw and i am having this same problem.

My dvd-rw is a nec3500a.

This isnt a virus since i formated my computer and the problem still persists.

Any suggestions?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    By combo drive I believe he meant one that burns to cd's and dvd's. It uses two differant lasers from what I understand to do either the cd or dvd. Sometimes one works and the other doesnt....

Does it work with dvd's but not cd's for instance? Did it work up to some point we can link between the differant users here? Like a certain service pack or certain other program that mucked things up maybe?

Tex
  • edited July 2005
    I found that the problem stops if you close Microsoft Antispyware, Norton, etc and i also closed Desktop-Sidebar and JetToolbar. Which them casued the problem, I do not know.