Women: You can't get bulky. Start lifting.

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Fitness
The hormone testosterone is responsible for the large increases in muscle mass seen when men lift weights. Women’s testosterone levels are a fraction of men’s testosterone levels. Normal testosterone levels in men are 200-1200 ng/dl while 15-70 ng/dl are normal in women. As you can see, men’s testosterone levels are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than women’s. Even if a man is at the LOW end of the men’s normal testosterone range (200 ng/dl), he still has more than twice the amount of testosterone as a woman at the HIGH end of the women’s normal testosterone range (70 ng/dl).

If we look at the median or mid-range testosterone levels in men and women, men = 700 and women = 42.5. So on an average, men have 16.47 times more testosterone than women! It is clear that women do not have the hormonal support (testosterone) to gain muscle mass like men. Therefore, the fear of becoming big and bulky and looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger with a ponytail is unwarranted.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mRkfaG38t7Y&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Tonight I was lifting with one of my girlfriends, I kept raising her weight and she kept whining that she was sweating. I pointed out that was sort of the entire point of exercise. She will thank me tomorrow and will have forgotten about the sweat in time to work out again next week. :P This is sort of the weekly pattern.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    If you're not sweating, it's probably not useful. :P
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    That's what I keep telling her... she doesn't listen very well though... I also tell her she has to actually eat (her weight loss method has been mostly to just not eat) and she doesn't like that too much either.

I eat regularly, I sweat when I workout and though my weight loss is MUCH slower than hers (10 lbs in a year vs 30 lbs in 4 months, we started about the same place) I am making vast improvements in my cardio stamina and endurance, lifting's improved, and overall health quality.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You'll also find that, even though you're losing weight at a slower pace, you're going to look better than she will really quickly.

Just getting rid of fat is one thing. Adding muscle tone and definition is a completely different thing.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You'll also find that, even though you're losing weight at a slower pace, you're going to look better than she will really quickly.

Just getting rid of fat is one thing. Adding muscle tone and definition is a completely different thing.
    This! The whole muscle weighs more than fat mantra, plus muscle changes the way you look in a more positive way than just losing fat.