Review - Innis and Gunn Rum Cask

kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
edited May 2011 in Food & Drink
It's not very often that I find a new beer that I love. There's plenty of beers that I like and like any beer drinker you've got your handful of usual's that you keep returning to. But every now and then you'll stumble across a beer that is just divine. A beer so good that you weep when you drink it. Innis and Gunn Rum Cask is that beer.

Innis and Gunn has been out for a while now with their Original Oak Cask aged beer. It's a premium beer that I think may only be available at the Liquor store in Ontario at least. Their original was a good beer, a different beer, but just still just another beer. Innis and Gunn Rum Cask is different. It's a darker amber coloured Beer that is made in oak barrels that previously contained navy rum.

<table width="99%"><tbody><tr><td class="BBquote">Originally posted by Innis and Gunn

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">We are delighted to present this unique limited bottling of Innis & Gunn finished in oak
barrels which previously contained navy rum. Maturation in special oak barrels imparts
Navy rums with the sweet, spicy character for which they are renowned. We have long
wondered what flavours might be imparted to our beer by finishing it in these same
barrels and earlier this year we decided to find out.

</td> <td width="60">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="500"> We brewed a special batch of Innis & Gunn beer and matured it in oak for 60 days. Every single drop spent half of that time in American oak barrels before being refilled into selected navy rum barrels to finish the lengthy maturation. Once the beer had absorbed the unique character the barrels were emptied, the beer blended and then maturation continued for a further 47 days until all of the flavours had married together and mellowed. We think the result is absolutely delicious!
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

It's 7.4% alcohol but it's not a strong beer by any means of the word. I'm certain -though they don't mention it- that it's primary ingredient is angel tears, not water.

This isn't the type of beer you'll want to drink after a hard days work in the blazing sun. Save any other swill for that duty. No this is the type of beer you'll need to sit down and simply enjoy and enjoy it you will. It's

It's so good, so very, very good.