CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Free Magnus Robot Fighter! Hell yes!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Update: The Avatar / Clone Wars comic is there now, as well as a couple more which weren't there when I wrote the article.
    edited May 2011
    Some really great work has come out of the Dark Horse brand over the years. I did not realize they did a re launch of Magnus. I love the old Russ Manning artwork. It has that really cool B Movie feel to it. I'm actually interested in seeing how a modern writer and artist will handle the character. The beauty in the mid 60's is there did not need to be allot of depth because super hero comics were primarily read by nine year old boys. These days they have the challenge of appealing to a wider audience that will find it hard to accept that Magnus with no specific super powers was trained from infancy to break steel with his bare knuckles. Still, I love it, the idea of a leotard wearing bad ass taking on a robot army with nothing but his bare hands, it makes for some killer B movie scenery.

I've loaded the book, I'll give it a read and share my observation.

magnus-robot-fighter.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Let me preface this by saying, reading a comic book in digital form has never really done it for me. I miss sitting back and turning pages, being able to skim back through after the first read, even the cheesy adds for X-Ray glasses, I miss those too. Just something about digital that feels off for the medium.

That said, Magnus is an relic from a by-gone era. I enjoy its simplicity, its straight forward, it does not take itself seriously, but its missing a critical component, an artist the caliber of Russ Manning. Its missing that extra touch, the thing that made the classic books special. Unfortunately I just don't get that same thrill looking at the artwork, and when your story is more or less, Bad Ass in red leotard kicking robot can, the artwork is a critical component.

I'm still happy Dark Horse did this promotion though, its cool, I'm just not that pleased with Magnus.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    To be fair: There is probably nothing they could have done to make it as good as the Magnus you remember. :)
    edited May 2011
    CB, you are right, I can't expect it to re capture the magic it had for me when I was younger. I'm not complaining, I'm really not, its still a fantastic promo.

It's reminded me of how I miss my lazy afternoon's being able to sit around and actually read this stuff.
  • edited June 2011
    Wicked, thanks!
    I also prefer real comics to digital, but I'm not going to complain about free digital comics either.