Finally stepped into 2010...

trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Science & Tech
Hey Guys!

The boss has given me a Desire HD to use.

I'm totally new to wireless enabled phones, so I'd like to know that when the phone is on my wireless network does it still use the data connection or do all the apps go out over the wireless?

There are a pile of apps on the Marketplace... Is it ok to assume that they are all safe on there?

I don't do any social networking, so any recommendations on must have apps. I've already installed KeePass as I use it on the PC all the time, and OI File Manager recommended by KeePass.

Is there a good app to prune off the two pages of stuff I won't use from the app screen?

Time for the old PocketPC to sit on a shelf or be re-purposed into something else.

Never had a phone before that does so much... ;D
Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    1) If WiFi is enabled, Android apps will prefer your wifi connection.

2) In the grand history of many hundred thousand apps, only a very small handful have been malicious. Take a look at what permissions are being requested when you install an app--if they don't make sense for the app you're trying to install, just move on.

3) As for must-haves, I don't have any particular recommendations right now. It would help if you described some of the things that it would be cool to do on a phone.

4) Remove apps by going to settings -> applications. You can uninstall most applications, but not the ones the carrier has preloaded (there's an exception, but it's unimportant to this thread).
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    If you install an alternative launcher (I think I've seen this on ADW Launcher), you can create "catalogs" of applications only consisting of the ones you want. You can then tell the launcher to display that catalog and ta-da, you've hidden the apps you don't care about anymore.

There are also some other tools that allow you to freeze an app or hide it, but the launchers are the most common method.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Excellent info guys!

The most important thing was the wifi question, it'll take a while to figure out what I want to do with the phone.

I'll check out that thread and have a look at the ADW Launcher.

Thanks!