Question About Transfer Cables

edited May 2011 in Hardware
Not sure this is the right spot but the "digital media" part attracted me, lol. Here's my question....

When it comes to the cable you use, is a cable just a cable? I got a new phone & it has an MP3 player but didn't come with a cable to hook it up to my computer. I used the cable from one of my WD portable drives, it has the micro type connection like my phone does.

I went on ebay *ducks* to check out cables & it got confusing. I went to Newegg *grin* and my impression from the reviews is that...a cable is just a cable. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any input.

~Zendall

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    If it fits on the peripheral you are trying to attach to the computer and it fits the computer, done deal.

As long as you make the connection, a cable is a cable.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks RyderOCZ!! Common sense told me a cable is just a cable but some of the ebay sellers made it sound different. Good to know it's just what it appears to be, much appreciated.

~Zendall
  • edited May 2011
    LOL, forgot to mention something. Unless I misread it, LG wants $39.95 for the cable LOLOLOLOLOL.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Manufacturers and big box retailers make tons of profit by charging obscene amounts for cables.

www.monoprice.com is your friend, among others
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    As long as you make the connection, a cable is a cable.
    I used to think this, then I saw the truth when I first used a Denon AKDL1.

The reviews speak for themselves.
    edited May 2011
    troll.jpg
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You clearly didn't read the most favorable review. I have quoted it here for you
    After I took delivery of my $500 Denon AKDL1 Cat-5 uber-cable, Al Gore was mysteriously drawn to my home, where he pronounced that Global Warming had been suspended in my vicinity.

Yes, I had perfect weather: no flooding, no tornadoes, the exact amount of rain necessary, and he pronounced sea levels exactly right and that they were not going to rise within five miles of my house.

Additionally, my cars began achieving 200 mpg and I didn't even need gasoline. I was able to put three grams of cat litter into the tank and drive forever.

What's more, the atmosphere inside my home became 93% oxygen and virtually no carbon dioxide. In fact, I now exhale oxygen.

One heck of a cable.

Didn't notice any improvement in audio quality though.

The $800 Apple iCable is clearly superior.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    You clearly didn't read the most favorable review. I have quoted it here for you
    Actually I've read about half of them, funny stuff to be sure. :D
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Digital is digital, its all zero's and one's, either the signal gets there, or it doesn't. That's why its a better transmission tech. Now, if your talking about old analogue audio and video cables, or perhaps speaker wire, thats a little different. That all depends on the length of the run and what the application is. HD video over component, if your running something from a home theater receiver that degrades the signal a little to begin with, then across a 50 foot run in a large dedicated home theater room, then yeah, quality cables will make a huge difference vs. cheap ones. But quality does not have to cost an arm and a leg. Like suggested, Monoprice.com is your friend.
    edited May 2011
    Also, he was talking about a USB cable here, not some interconnect for a piece of stereo equipment. :grumble:
  • edited May 2011
    Yes my question is about USB connection. I had a senior moment while reading the reply about old school cables, lmao. Good reply though, reminded me of stuff that still kind of applies to my household. :bigggrin:

Thanks for the cable site you 2 who put it up, I have it on my favorites now.

The Amazon reviews are hilarious, lol. A website I frequent almost daily is SlickDeals.net, someone there posted a link to a cable that was well over $1k at Amazon, the reviews were a scream, hehe.

I hiighly recommend SlickDeals.net if any of you are bargain shoppers, like freebies, want to check first if what you're about to buy is a better deal elsewhere, etc. Sorry, not trying to spam but I've found some amazing deals there.

~Zendall
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    It's a clarification on the topic, the difference between digital and analog. Digital signals either get there or not. That's why there is no measureable differnce between the usb cables, sata cables, hdmi, or anything that's sending zeros and ones to be compiled on the other end.