Bad pool header. PC no longer displays.

MbooseMboose North Carolina
edited May 2011 in Hardware
I came home last night to my computer having a BSOD. The error said that it was a "BAD_POOL_HEADER." I didn't get the Technical code from the blue screen, so I'm sorry that I can't be more specific.

My machine is:

Acer Aspire
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Pentium dual-core processor
4gb DDR2 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX+

When I got the BSOD, I restarted my computer and when it came back up, I could see my desktop and icons, but it was unresponsive. The mouse didn't work and hitting the windows key or even ctrl+alt+del didn't cause anything to happen.

Again, I restarted the machine and this time when it was starting up it got stuck at "Starting Windows" but that was the only thing it said. There weren't any colors like when it typically starts up, it just said "Starting Windows" and nothing else.

After waiting for a while of it not continuing to start up, I manually restarted it again. This time however, both of my screens remained blank. The computer "starts" in that my CPU fan, Power supply, and graphics card kick on, but nothing displays. Both of my monitors are fine (I've checked them).

I'm not quite sure what to do here, as I can't even get my computer to display properly so that I can get a Hijackthis log or anything. I've also tried used my onboard graphics card to bypass my Nvidia one, but this has not worked either.

Thinking it may be a memory issue, I also removed each stick of memory (I have two total) and tried starting the computer with no luck.

I've also put my W7 Ult disc in, but even this doesn't give me any other additional options.

I'm not sure what else to provide. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Put both memory sticks back in, burn/run Memtest 86+ (available as an .iso or part of other utility sets like UBCD or Hiren's Boot CD). If your RAM passes, try the manufacturer's HDD test (also available on UBCD). Ensure all connections are plugged in completely (you'd be surprised). Report back with results of that testing. You will need another PC in order to download/burn those discs.
  • MbooseMboose North Carolina
    edited May 2011
    How do I tell if the RAM passed or if the CD is even running if nothing is displayed?
    edited May 2011
    If you aren't even seeing the BIOS screen, then there is a bigger issue (either video card or your mobo). Do you have onboard video that you can plug into? If so, remove the video card and try that. You may have to reset the BIOS (which typically involves moving a jumper but you need to follow your manual's directions exactly) to get it to show up.
  • MbooseMboose North Carolina
    edited May 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    If you aren't even seeing the BIOS screen, then there is a bigger issue (either video card or your mobo). Do you have onboard video that you can plug into? If so, remove the video card and try that. You may have to reset the BIOS (which typically involves moving a jumper but you need to follow your manual's directions exactly) to get it to show up.

Yea, I get absolutely nothing which has me confused (worried) the most. I've tried both monitors and monitor cables hooked up to my laptop and they both work fine. Thinking it was my graphics card, I tried using my onboard video and I get the same result which that the monitor's "power light" remains the amber color and doesn't display anything.
    edited May 2011
    Then your mobo or PSU has gone belly up. No way for me to help you there, beyond recommending either professional help or getting a PSU tester then calling mobo tech support. Make sure you tell them what you have tried already to cut off some of the script