Need cooling ideas

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Hardware
I have this JAPAC case with clear plastic side and top windows that I am using as a portable gamer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811217022

However, it is running hot and I need to add ventilation as it has no intake air vents and just the 90mm exhaust fan in the rear. I know the product description says it's a 120mm rear fan but that is a misprint; it's a 90mm fan. Because of the cramped space, I cannot run an aftermarket hsf as they are all too big so I am using the X4-955 stock cooler. If I take the side off the case, the CPU runs cool but shortly after closing up the sides or top, the temps rise during gaming to where I either get throttling or video card anomalies.

I was thinking of cutting two holes in the side windows and covering them with 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999223

secured by 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996015&cm_re=fan_mounts-_-11-996-015-_-Product

Has anyone got another idea on how to get cool air to the internals? THX!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Side window intakes, top exhaust.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2011
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Side window intakes, top exhaust.

Good idea but there is no room for a top fan. The power supply is just whiskers from the top and in front of it is the DVD-RW also just whiskers from the top. :/
    I might be able to put in one 80mm side fan, but that's about it due to the case construction.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Buddy J wrote:

Thanks! Looks promising but I sort of wanted to go on the cheap.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    adarryl wrote:
    Thanks! Looks promising but I sort of wanted to go on the cheap.
    Essentualy by placing the side intakes as you picked out, the exhaust at the back top should be fine since you can't place a fan in the top of the case.

Just place the intakes at the front of the sides of the case, and not centered.

BTW I like that case.;)
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Zuntar. It is a pretty decent case, but when you put in a standard sized power supply (mine did not come with one) and a DVD-RW, you don't have a lot of room left. I am not sure how to cut the holes for the side air vents. I tried a 2" circle cutter on a CD jewel case and did not like the result. It was too jagged and when I tried to file off the burrs, it cracked. The windows on this case are very thin and I am afraid of the same thing happening. I went shopping for acrylic sheets to make replacement windows rather than screw up the original ones, but the stores around here want $10.00 for a piece big enough to make just one window and I would need two. I tried one other thing: I removed the DVD-ROM, not DVD-RW, and put in a perforated, mesh bay blank with filter from another case. I had to customize it to get a fit, but it allows air to be pulled in the front by the rear exhaust fan. Sort of like an air tunnel. It's enough flow that a 3 X 5 card is held snug to the bay cover by the suction. I will have to game with it, but this may be just enough to do the job. If it doesn't, I will have to figure out a way to cut the side windows without ruining the plexi.