one way network.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I have two PCs networked through a Linksys router. Everything used to work fine. Now both have internet and email. Comp A(mine) will not ping comp B(kids) but B will ping A. You can start a lan game on B and join it on A, Start one on A and B wont see it. I have added both IPs to the trusted zones in Zone alarm and tried it with ZA turned off on both. I have rerun the network wizard on both. On B you can open the shared folders and drives on A, On A it wont see the other PC.
Any advice?

bothered.

Comments

• reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited June 2003
    What OSes are you running? Also goto networking, then connections, right click on the LAN connection and click properties. What is listed? You should have a client for MS networks, File and Priner Sharing for MS networks, maybe QOS schduler and TCP/IP. You might need to install the IPX/SPX/Netbios Protocall. That works for me sometimes.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2003
    Comp A has client for MS networks, File and Priner Sharing for MS networks and TCP/IP all checked. Comp B has the same but also QOS schduler. Both PCs are running XP Pro. What is the IPX/SPX/Netbios Protocall?

bothered.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Bothered,

Are you using Static IP's?

When you are pinging, are you using the name or the IP?
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited June 2003
    For some reason Netbios seems to help Windows netoworks work for me. The IPX/SPX is just an older protocall that games used to use.
    edited June 2003
    I am not using static IPs. I'm pinging them with the addresses. From B to A, No prob, From A to B request timed out.

bothered.
    edited June 2003
    Have you tried pinging by IP address alone? If you have, did it do the same thing?
    edited June 2003
    That's the only thing I have pinged with.

bothered
    edited June 2003
    Ok, you want to try to ping the machine using the IP. This will rule out a whole heap of things. If you can ping using the IP I have a trick or 2 you can use.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    make sure there is no firewall install on comp B, if you can't pign comp B.
    edited June 2003
    Comp A will not ping B, B will ping A. Using IP address's with no firewall.

bothered.
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    Go to Network Connections on both machines. Go to Advanced on the toolbar then click on advanced settings. See if TCP/IP is bound to Client for Microsoft Networks and Printer and File Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

The machine you can't get to probably has the binding for printer and file sharing unchecked.
    Don't use the network wizard just make sure those protocols are installed on both machines.

You might have to reboot both to get everything going. The router takes care of the gateway and is the dhcp server so let it assign the ip's. Do all this from an Administrator account.

Well I hope this helps. It works for me.
    edited July 2003
    Cheers maggie99635, I think your on to something. On comp A there is one connection with TCP and file sharing checked. Comp B is more complicated, in network connections there is the following, Local area connection (with a red cross saying a cable is unplugged, though there isn't) a local area con2 and a local area bridge. If I click properties for the bridge then loc area con 2 the check box's are unchecked, as you say, but it won't let me check them!
    I've just thought, The local area con with the red cross is probably the onboad lan which I'm not using, I use a NIC. It worked without a hitch for 12 months before.
    How can I check the box's?

bothered.
    edited July 2003
    You ran the wizard. Delete the bridge. Reboot both of the computers to be sure it clears . Then you should be able to get all your bindings checked. Make sure your Router is the DHCP server is enabled in DHCP( probably is by default. Then just make sure both computers have Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP installed . Don't worry about the QOS and File Sharing just leave those alone.

Now you can check your bindings on both computers. I haven't figured out how to get that network wizard working properly with my router. I deleted 15 bridges before I figured it out. LOL I have a wireless connection I use most. But the lan connection is set up the same.

The bridge won't show up in in Advanced settings anymore. As long as they are in the same Workgroup, have TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks installed they will be networked. Don't bother uninstalling QOS . If you are still having a problem go into Services and make sure they are the same.
    If you have remote desktop enabled on both machines use that to compare settings. I can make a smaller window for the remote one to make comparisons. My machines are in different rooms . Saves running around.
    edited July 2003
    I did that, Now comp A will ping B but B wont ping A. I can still access shared drives on A from B though? I started a lan UT on A and B found it but wouldn't join it. If I try network places on A , entire network, mshome, it says its not accessable.I haven't had time to do much else as I'm now at work. I will run the the wizard again and see if it fix's it tomorrow.
    I'd apprieciate any other advice.
    Thanks again.

bothered.
    edited July 2003
    Don't run the wizard. It is only good for ICS. Delete the bridge then go into Advanced settings and you should be able to check all the bindings. The Bridge binding should be gone and you will be left with Lan internet.

Make sure the workgroup is the same--you have done that
    You just need two protocols. Make sure each computer is using the same ones only.
    Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP
    On the properties for TCP/IP use: obtain an address automatically and then go to Advanced and choose Netbios over TCP/IP.
    Now go to Network Connections in Control Panel. Click on the advanced tab at the top of the folder and dropdown to advanced settings. Make sure TCP/IP is bound to File and Printer for Microsoft Networks and Cliient for Microsoft Networks
    Make sure both computers are set this way. Your router will be the Gateway. Make sure to share some folders . Turn off the XP firewalls.
    You will probably have to reboot both computers. Don't use the network wizard. Next time you open Network Places both should show up.
    I think the wizard is best used for ICS

In Network connections folder . At the top of the folder Advanced- on the
    toolbar (not in the properties of the card) then dropdown to advanced
    settings. Make sure that TCP/IP are bound to Client for Microsoft Networks
    and Printer and File Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
    In the properties for your Ethernet card. Just have Client for Microsoft
    Networks and TCP/IP installed.

Once everything is set up the same reboot all of them. Don't run the network
    wizard unless you are using ICS. This is peer to peer with a router being
    the gateway and assign all the ip addies. Everything should now show up in
    Network Places.
    If one doesn't show go back to advanced settings on the offending machine
    and make sure of the bindings. Sometimes one will get unchecked.
    edited July 2003
    I will do all of that tomorrow when I get up and will keep you informed,
    Thanks very much for your help, What a terrific forum and bunch of peeps.

bothered.
    edited July 2003
    The Netbios was set to default on both so I clicked enable, Checked everything else. What I found was the IP for comp A had somehow changed from XXXXX.100 to xxxx.115. I don't know how. The IPs were 100 and 101, Allways have been. Anyway everything works now, All drives etc can be accessed from everywhere, Brilliant.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    I have printed your replys and will put them in my 'Modem' folder for next time, Because there will be a next time.:)

bothered.
    edited July 2003
    OK!! Way to go! :)