New GTS450 card, having issues, any help appreciated :)

edited June 2011 in Hardware
Hey there, I today purchased a new GTS450 card to replace my 9500GT. Naturally this is a stellar upgrade. When I put the card in, which I was told I could straight up do by the guy instore, it got to my compaq initial splash screen, then failed to boot further, sticking on that screen. So I put old card in, went in, deleted all drivers etc etc, tried again. Same thing. The power requirements of my card are 400W, I have a 500W Supply so no problems there. Everything is hooked up correctly including PCI-E etc etc. My issue is, I have installed the drivers for the new card also, but still getting stuck on the slpash screen. Can anyone give me some advice i would REALLY appreciate it...

My specs are

Compaq Presario SR1000
Intel Pentium dual core 3.2ghz processor
2GB DDR2 ram
OCZ 500W PSU

Not a computer boffin really so don't know much more than that :)

Thanks! :)

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    If it is only getting to the splash screen, then it has nothing to do with drives. Could be DOA part, could be PSU failing to push enough power (aging caps or something). Try another PCI-E cable from the PSU or using a molex-to-PCIE adapter. If it still doesn't work, exchange it and try again.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for your reply!

I got a PCI-E adapter with the card, tried it a few times earlier and to no avail :<

The supply is only a year old and has run my 9500GT with no issues. The 9500GT isn't broken, just preferred an upgrade really :) Is there anything else that could be causing the card to be rejected by the motherboard or anything?

cheers ;)
    edited June 2011
    Not that I am aware of. DOA cards happen. Simply explain what you did and they shouldn't give you any hassle exchanging it. Upgrades are nice and you can get an easy 5k running folding at home on that card :P

Welcome to Icrontic! Take a look around and you'll like what you see
  • edited June 2011
    thanks alot for the welcome! and the help :)

Will go in tomorrow and reason with PC world until they supply me with another card =]

Also, I'm using a DVI - VGA connector on the card, which came with it, that surely wouldn't cause an issue right?
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    :life:
    edited June 2011
    Shouldn't make any difference using that DVI to VGA adapter. I've used countless passive adapters and never seen one mess up (not they can't fail, just that it still sounds unrelated to your problem).