Desktops, Laptops or tablets?

JordanGopieJordanGopie Trinidad
edited June 2011 in Hardware
Hi guys, i apologize if this isn't in the right place but it seemed to be the appropriate place to put it. So basically i want to get a new computer and one of my friends said to get a laptop because tablets and laptops have surpassed desktops in the way that they are cheaper and more powerful and the only advantage desktops have is that the parts are cheaper and changeable. Now i don't know how true this is but he is doing computer engineering while i'm still in high school and his class did some sort research on it and i only care about games right now. What are your thoughts?

Also if anyone can help me build a halfway decent gaming pc with my budget of about 400$ that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    First off, I would like to say that Desktops are still much more powerful than laptops. Especially in the lower price range.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

At every possible budget, the PC is a more powerful option. And tablets? Tablets don't even compare to the power available in a laptop or desktop, especially where gaming is concerned.

Now, your $400 will either get you to "decent," or will get you some serious disappointment. All of that depends on the hardware you have now. What do you have now?
  • JordanGopieJordanGopie Trinidad
    edited June 2011
    I have a laptop....more specifically an hp g60...its not meant for games or anything, this was an exam year so when my old computer kicked the bucket he got me this so i could only do school work on it, but my exams are over and now i need a decent pc i.e one that can run crysis without overheating.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Alright, so you don't have any desktop hardware already. The problem is that $400 won't get you a whole lot. If you can get to $600, I can recommend a system that'll eat Crysis for lunch (and any other meal). That extra $200 is key, though.

If that's really not possible, I'll try to put something together for four.
  • JordanGopieJordanGopie Trinidad
    edited June 2011
    I really don't know how much i can get, i know for sure i'll have $400, maybe $500 but i probably not 600

EDIT: so yeah like $400 so i might have to end up putting parts together =( can anyone make recommendations?
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited June 2011
    You can probably do better than this by going for individual components, but here is a good baseline of what 400$ buys:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=500251&Sku=B69-1327

Msi H61 LGA 1155 Motherboard
    i3-2100 CPU
    4gb Corsair PC10666
    1Tb Seagate Barracuda
    Thermaltake Case
    450W Power Supply

+
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=621465&CatId=3669

Radeon HD 5670, a nice cheap Dx11 card that will pretty much run any modern game.

+
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7303421&CatId=6994

Tiny Little LGA1155 socket cooler.

Total is 370$+ Shipping.

As for your monitor, I would recommend craigslist, as horrible as that may sound. I've found 19" LCD monitors for 20$, but then again, many people today just go ahead and run a DVI/HDMI into a TV, so you may want to go that way as well.

Although I would really consider spending more than 400$, as you might as well go to the i5 for an extra 90$, 40$ for another 4gb of ram, and another 70$ to upgrade to the HD 6770, this system will certainly leave your current rig, and many other new ones in the dust.