Uncorrectable hardware error?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Hardware
HP Slimline s3401f desktop
Vista 32 bit SP1

I got this computer to fix it, and it was having an "uncorrectable hardware error" BSOD pop up every few minutes. I took out the hard drive and plugged it into another PC to save some files for the owner, then put it back in this computer and did a full Vista reformat / system recovery from its recovery partition.

It still has the problem. It'll pop up within a few minutes of turning the computer on, and it'll make it restart, then it ends up repeating this over and over.

Any idea what this sort of error can be caused by and how to fix it?:scratch:

A google search result said maybe video drivers, but it never stays on long enough to download anything. I'll have to try flash driving in some new drivers for it.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2011
    Have you tried the default tests

1) Open up the computer pull out any cards and ram and reseat them as well as checking all the other cable connecters.
    2) Get a copy of the newest version of ubuntu
    3) Boot up with that disk and run memtest
    4) Boot up again and run the live version of ubuntu to see if it still happens
    5) Assuming all of these tests are positive but windows is still crashing. Do a format and then re-install not a repair/restore install.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I did the ram reseat, and it was a reformat / reinstall. Even running my Ubuntu 8.10 CD didn't work, it'd just crash out and restart like it did in windows.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2011
    I'd say CPU or Mobo in general are shot then.