Dell 1901FP Problem

edited June 2011 in Hardware
Just tried to hook up my Dell 1901FP monitor as a second monitor to a new computer. Had put it into storage for about a year and now have room on the desk for it. Tried starting up the monitor with no computer input as a test and all I get is a corrupted version of the color pattern bouncing around the screen-- the words are corrupted, the colors are ok. Tried the reset trick from one of the posts and no luck-- the OSD menu button doesn't do anything and scrolling down using the other buttons doesn't seem to do anything either. The monitor worked fine when I put it away and it has been untouched for the year.

Sounds like the card inside may be gone, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to reset or fix, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like the card inside may be gone.
  • edited June 2011
    Sounds like the card inside may be gone.

Thanks.

Sad to say, I think it is ready for the scrap heap. Too bad. It was a very good, sharp and high contrast monitor.
  • edited June 2011
    Thats too bad. I used to have a monitor stock in for a year also but when I have the time using it, it runs perfectly well. Sometimes stocking equipment would also contribute degrading it.
  • edited June 2011
    coolhunter wrote:
    Thats too bad. I used to have a monitor stock in for a year also but when I have the time using it, it runs perfectly well. Sometimes stocking equipment would also contribute degrading it.

I don't know what I could have done differently-- I kept it in the normal position for use, on the stand, it just wasn't plugged in to power or a computer. Temperature was kept in the 60-80 degree range, so that shouldn't have caused accelerated degradation.

The color test pattern is in the "portriat" position independent of whether the monitor is in landscape or portriat, so I tried rotating it quite a few times to see if the contacts had gotten corroded, but no go either.

Thanks for your comment.
    edited June 2011
    What happens when it's the only monitor plugged in? What happens when you use VGA vs DVI (or vice versa)? What happens when you plug it into a different computer?
  • edited June 2011
    What happens when it's the only monitor plugged in? What happens when you use VGA vs DVI (or vice versa)? What happens when you plug it into a different computer?
  • edited June 2011
    Unfortunately, this is the only computer I have and it just has the DVI output. I get the corrupted test pattern with NO computer input at all, only the power cord attached.
    edited June 2011
    mou10man wrote:
    Unfortunately, this is the only computer I have and it just has the DVI output. I get the corrupted test pattern with NO computer input at all, only the power cord attached.

make a friend, try their computer
  • edited June 2011
    make a friend, try their computer

Good idea-- tried an analog input from another computer and still no joy.

Think that the thing is really dead.