What Hardware would u buy w/$1900

Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
edited July 2011 in Hardware
I already have the case, two 36 gig 10000 rpm raptors, a 120 gig 7200 HD, a 850 watt ps (might need more power), mouse, keyboard. What would you buy for gaming computer?

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    probably would be better to list the things you want. Won't make sense to have someone recommend a blu-ray drive if you're not into movies, etc.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2011
    If I had $1900 burning a whole in my pocket I certainly wouldn't waste it on a gaming computer - just saying. Maybe drop $750 on mobo, cpu and a couple video cards. Then maybe also get a 360 and/or a ps3, still with the money left perhaps upgrade my computer speakers, get a color laser MFP and still with some left over money a beer fridge.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    First, wait for Bulldozer.

Buy a SATA III SSD boot drive (I'd consider the Corsair Force 3)

If I'm shopping for peripherals with that kind of budget, I'd definately consider my personal holy grail of gaming keyboards. Cherry MX goodness.

On the current platforms crossfire scaling is so good its obscene, I'm getting amazing performance from a pair of 6850's. Generally I'd say, go for the best single card you can afford, but knowing what those will do, I can't imagine a gamer on earth being displeased with a pair of 6870's or at most 6950's, unless your trying to drive six monitors at once, then the budget gets a little out of hand.
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited June 2011
    I want your ideas for gaming processor, processor cooling (I dont overclock), motherboard, ram, video card/cards and OS.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'd get:

Intel Core i7 2600-K ($315)
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ($170)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($77)
    SAPPHIRE 100311SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB ($350)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM ($100)

And I'd get a OCZ Vertex 3 of appropriate size for my boot drive. But that's just me. Also, for your case the stock heatsink that comes with the 2600-K will be just fine.

Spend the rest of your cash on a 3 monitor Eyefinity setup and be the envy of your peers.
  • Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited June 2011
    When is bulldozer supposed to be out and will it be better for gaming?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Quarter 3 of this year, and it cannot yet be said if it will be better.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    $1900

3x24" IPS 1920x1200 monitors and two 6970's
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    If I had $1900 just burning a hole in my pocket. I would get the best spinners made for my car and a coon tail to put on my antenna. :D
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited June 2011
    Even when bulldozer is out, Ivy bridge wont be terribly far behind it, and although I've used many AMD processors over the years, the core series seems hard to beat at the rate intel is going.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    2 36 gig raptors and a 120 gig hard drive? What is this, the year 2003?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    That is what he already has from whenever ago, not what he is considering purchasing. Also, mandatory IE6 comment.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Cliff you would want him to wait a few weeks to be disappointed?
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Tim wrote:
    2 36 gig raptors and a 120 gig hard drive? What is this, the year 2003?

Monumental occasion.