Wax's Fall Splurge

waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Hardware
Hello Icrontians,

I'm starting to plan a build for a new rig this fall. Ideally, I want to be playing Battlefield 3 (and the other games that aren't as important) in 5760x1200 on my three HP ZR24w monitors. (awwwwyeeaah.jpg)

I just kinda threw this build together. Since I feel like I haven't had my finger on the pulse of PC hardware in the last few years (ABIT R.I.P.) I'm looking for your collective input.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z86-V PRO
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 (9-10-9-27)
VGA: The cheapest Radeon 6990 I can get my hands on
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
CASE: Will use existing Antec P180 or existing Zalman Fatality
SSD/Boot: OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB
HDD/Storage: Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb
Cooling: Corsair CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 (Self-contained Liquid Cooling System)

Is on-board audio enough? I was thinking about throwing in a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium or Asus Xonar. I remember on-board used to sound awful and I'd always have either a Sound Blaster Audigy or X-Fi (but I was at the will of Creative's shit-tacular drivers).

Thanks!

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    This is just quick but if you are building it in the fall, I would get w/e next get stuff comes out for AMD/Intel. Bulldozer will be dropping sometime before then (presumably) and I wouldn't invest in last gen tech for a brand new machine.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Also, if your not hell bent on running a single card, I'm tellin ya, a pair of 6870's crossfired for about $400 total will absolutely knock your socks off. Crossfire scaling on the 6XXX cards is obscene.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Sorry Wax, I was wrong on price.. the 120's are 189: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227395&cm_re=Vertex_2_120_GB-_-20-227-395-_-Product

60's are the cheapest ones atm. That could change later.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I can't even define how big the difference having a Sandforce SSD run windows and your applications. It's absolutely huge. I'm doing good with a 90GB Drive I purchased with plenty of leftover space, but I don't have my Steam install on there, and I have all my pictures and music on a separate drive as well. Other than that though, windows, my browsers, photo editing apps, documents, office stuff, its all on there with about 65% of the drive to spare. I think 60GB would make a fine boot drive for most.