Upgrade question

RMFRMF
edited June 2011 in Hardware
Hi folks,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my PC. Actually, that's not true..I've already ordered the parts :bigggrin:

The thing is, I'm thinking about cancelling my order on some of them. Currently my specs are:

QX6850 @3.8GHZ
8GB DDR2 800mhz
ATI HD6970

The 6970 is not mine though. I borrowed it from work and it will have to go back sooner or later which would leave me in a position of buying a new card. If I had to shell out a few hundred for a card thats more or less the equivelent to what I already have now then it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth so this is what I've ordered.

GTX 590 ( i know it's overkill, but what can I say? I just want it) :rarr:
i7 2600k
AsRock P67 Extreme4 (B3).
Got some kingston DDR3 1066mhz from work that I can use indefinitely.

I'm thinking about cancelling the CPU and mobo though. My QX6850 still seems to be powerfull enough for pretty much everything that's out now, so is it worth the upgrade? Will I see significant gains to warrant the upgrade of the CPU and mobo when I combine it with the faster ram?

Or should I hold off for the next iteration of sandy bridge later this year?

:confused:

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I have a 2600k and an Asrock P67 Extreme6 board and it's one hell of a system. Easiest overclock to 4.5 I've ever done, and that's actually a pretty conservative overclock on it. Your gaming will appreciate the higher cpu speeds, especially if you are running modern game that might be cpu limited. You might want to invest in some faster ram down the road though, since SB does show some modest increases in throughput with faster ram. And you will love the UEFI bios on the board too; it's nice to point and click with the mouse. :D