One folder and files inside are missing

edited July 2011 in Hardware
Yesterday I noticed one of the folders on my external 1GB storage drive (not bootable) only showed about half of the files that are actually in it. At that time, Windows XP reported that the directory file was corrupted and to run chkdsk (a small popup appeared from the system tray). Ran chkdsk from windows, without checking media, and it completed. However, now that same folder that was missing some files cannot even be opened. When I try to open that folder, windows says… "I:\New AC - the folder is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupt or unreadable."

All other folders on the drive (and files within them) continue to be fine.

Ran Testdisk advanced / boot / repair MFT, and it came back with MFT and MFT mirror are bad and not repaired.

Nothing has been written to the disk.

I have not received any other error messages from windows.

What would you recommend the next step be? Why would just one folder be affected and not all of them if Testdsk states that the MFT and mirror are bad? If that were the case, wouldn't I not be able to access any of the files or folders?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Try a program called Recuva, you might have more success.
  • edited June 2011
    I'll try it, but what do you think is up, why just one folder?
    edited June 2011
    Bad sectors, perhaps. That would submarine specific folders, and leave others unscathed.
  • edited June 2011
    I'd understand bad sectors submarining a specific folder, but don't understand how Testdisk could say both the MFT and mirror are bad, when I can access the rest of the drive folder and files. Does that make any sense?

Running Recuva now. I selected to deep scan just that questionable folder. Looks like it'll take 5 hours.
    edited June 2011
    Sounds to me like TestDisk just isn't reporting properly. That has happened to me on occasion.
  • edited June 2011
    So the MFT is probably still good then. I'll let you know what Recuva comes up with. I'm guessing it will find nearly all of the files, since nothing has been written to the drive, and I'll just have to recover them to another drive? Then move everything off the drive and repair it/markout bad sectors with Chkdsk? Just trying to map out the smartest plan of action... Thanks Thrax.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    You got it right there.
  • edited June 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Try a program called Recuva, you might have more success.

Recuva didn't find a single file in that folder! Given that this folder showed files just a day ago, even as windows said the directory was corrupted, and nothing has been written to the drive. Thoughts?

So now I am scanning the drive with GetDataBack....
  • edited June 2011
    Still scanning with GetDataBack.... 24 hours so far...
  • edited July 2011
    OK ran the getdataback program and it found all of the files, which I then copied to another drive. so my data is safe. I then ran CHKDSK on the drive with issues, and it went through all the phases and completed. It put one file in the Found.000 folder. Otherwise, it appeared to be OK, and the folder (I:\New AC) on the drive that was previously not accessible, is now accessible and all the files are there inside it, and they appear to be ok. I then ran testdisk on it to see if the MFT and mirror files were now OK or had been repaired by CHKDSK. Testdisk came back and said those two files are STILL bad! Yet the drive functions perfectly now. Two questions - 1) what did CHKDSK do that made that previously unavailable folder now available, and 2) what's the deal with the MFT file being bad yet the drive seems fine?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    CHKDSK repaired the directory which holds information about where files are located on the disk. When it was damaged, the disk could no longer tell you there was a folder with data at x location. There may be (probably is) a physical problem with the disk, hence you are unable to repair all files. I would just trash this drive or send it back for warranty if it is worth the time.