Building A Super UPS

edited July 2011 in Hardware
I read this article on here about a Super UPS http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/super_ups And well, I have a UPS that i bought 2 years ago and it was dead after 2 years i think.. Battery failure. Those batteries need to be replaced every couple years looks like it, the batteries warped and took lots of time to get them out of the ups but finally did it, Takes 4 batteries inside it.

On searching it seems replacement batteries will run be close to 200$ so i started searching for a better idea which lead me to the article above. Also I hate storms, scares me a little using my pc when it gets bad so i always relied on my ups till it died. I have no real first hand experience dealing with stuff like this, so i figured id get on the forums and get some input on this article.

1. How long do batteries Last year wise until you have to replace them on using this Super UPS? Id imagine a long time since its basicly using car batteries and those last years.

2. How expensive are the VRLA or the completely sealed batteries that they are also called, dont wanna risk it since my room isnt too well ventilated especially in the winter. Did a bit of searching havent really found what i think was what i needed.

3. Is this very hard to do? Is it easy? Would it be stupid to do this without too much experience in doing stuff related to electricity?

4. Would i be able to unplug it somehow so when its stormy i can just unplug and not worry about the storm hitting the ups or my pc.

5. I was thinking of getting the same Converter they used except the better model with more VA. 2000VA

6. It said at one point " It is essential to run the inverter/UPS through a surge protection unit" But It looks like u just get the wires that are on the outlet and connect them straight to the converter how do you use it through a surge protection unit if it just goes straight to the inverter?

I love battery backups has saved me plenty of times in the past when the power cuts out. So is this worth looking doing or should i just get replacement batteries and be done with it? I did have this all organized better but the post made it jumble all into one long sentence for some reason, sorry for those that gotta read it.