Upgrade Plans

LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Hardware
I'm still planning on buying a new system but at the same time I'm going to be upgrading my current system for the wife to use.

Here are the specs:

Store Bought Unit :( (HP a6330f):
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz

GPU - On board NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

RAM - 3 Gb (PC2-5300)

PSU - 300W

Mother Board - Asus M2N68-LA MicroATX AM2

HD - 500Gb

OS - MS Vista :mad:

My thoughts on upgrading (to see if I'm heading in the right direction):

CPU/Mobo - Keep as is as I can't find any AM2 chips at Newegg for sale and I want to keep upgrade costs low.

OS - Upgrade to Win7-64 bit to allow for more RAM

RAM - Upgrade to 8 Gb (4x2GB) DDR2-6400

GPU - Upgrade to ASUS Radeon HD 6670 1GB (I don't need a lot of graffics power on this machine... mostly use it for browsing and office work).

PSU - This is where I'm stuck. I don't know how to calculate how much power my system will need. Any help in this direction is appreciated!

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I might suggest even less GPU if you just want to aid the CPU in running HD video, perhaps consider a quality 400 watt power supply since the current one may be agining and ready for replacement. Honestly, I might not even upgrade that DDR2, I might run Windows 7 32 bit, or consider running Linux Mint to give that old box a kick in the rear.

Seriously, if she has a user profile thats office tasks and watching the occasional youtube video, don't overspend on upgrades. It's still a decent dual core CPU, 3GB of RAM will still fuel a 32 bit OS fine, and if you get the cheapest $40 GPU to help the graphics out enough so she can watch any video she wants, that should be plenty, unless she is playing 3D games, or video editing.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Check out the difference between the OS upgrade and oem. You may be better off with the oem.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the tips. These are my current plans considering what you suggested:

GPU - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1Gb

PSU - XIGMATEK 400W Bronze Certified

OS - Windows 7 32-bit OEM. I'm still a little baffled as to the pros/cons on the differences between the OEM vs. Upgrade vs. other options though.

I was also playing with the idea of installing a 60Gb SSD (probably Vertex 2 or 3) for the OS to be installed on to make things really quick. Haven't completely decided yet though. The good thing is that this SSD can follow me to my next computer build if needed.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    The SSD will give you more bang for your buck than a 64 bit OS with a RAM upgrade. With the gained IO speed you can leave virtually nothing load on the front end, and when you go to launch it will be fast. I highly recomend the Vertex 2.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Vertex 2 for the old machine, 3 for the new one.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Ok, well, it took a while, but I with the help of QCH, I was able to upgrade my computer. Got the Sapphire Radeon HD6450, the Vertex 3 SSD (60 Gb) for my OS, got upgraded to Win 7, and a new power supply. I have to say that my computer FLIES with the SSD. VERY VERY happy with my purchase!

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions! Next year is the big system!! :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Nice! Enjoy!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    BTW... Windows 7 installed in about 8 minutes from USB Thumbdrive. That's from clicking next on the "Partition to Format and install" screen to first login. I shit you not. Those OCZ Vertex 3 are scary fast!