STOP C000021a (Fatal System Error) Please Help!!!

edited July 2011 in Hardware

Good Afternoon,

I need urgent help!

I have a Dell Latitude D620 Laptop, which up until yesterday was running ok, I noticed it was running a little slower lately but nothing to make me think below was going to happen yesterday.

I run windows XP & when i tried to log on yesterday I received below error message:

Error message I get shown below (Blue screen):
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
STOP C000021a (Fatal System Error)<o:p></o:p>
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000135<o:p></o:p>
(0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p>I purchased this laptop (2nd hand) about 1 year ago & the guy who I need to conatct is on holiday at the moment & he would have what seems to be what I need (recovery disc, but as i dont really know what i'm talking about, i'm not sure if this is what I need, just picked this info up from reading various support sites) </o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have read a few reviews on various support sites to help & have tried to tap F8 as I start it up & then tried to run last known configuration that worked, but it doesn’t work & I end up with same blue screen with above error message.

I dont know if I should start in safe mode as I dont know what to do once I start in safe mode.

Please could someone help me as i'm totaly stuck & in need of very urgent help & assistance.

I look forward to your comments, help & assistance.

Kind regards
Lee

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    If you can start in safe mode, that is a good thing. Try it and report back (press F8 a few times at boot time and you'll see the menu.

Also, download UBCD and run a full pass of Memtest (10 tests total) and if you start seeing red, one or both RAM sticks are bad. You may also wish to run a HDD test .I recommend looking at the HDD to find out the manufacturer and run its specific test.
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks for your response, it is very much appreciated, glad to hear someone out there is prepared to help someone in need of assistance.

Unfortunately I have tried to run in safe mode, I get a page of scroll drivers & then I return back to blue screen with fatal system error message again.

Should I continue as you suggest or should i do something else?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Just continue on. Test memory and HDD.