Laptop Turning Off When Playing Games

SlimAF1SlimAF1 Blackburn
edited July 2011 in Hardware
When I start playing a PC Game, my Laptop will switch itself off for no reason. It seems to only happen when the charger is plugged in, if I'm running of Battery power it doesn't do it unless it overheats obviously. Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

It only does it playing proper PC Games, the Laptop runs fine when playing Emulators, default games like Solitaire and watching Movies and such!!

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    It's likely overheating. Clean out all the vents and fans with some compressed air, and try using it on a little laptop cooling wedge.
  • SlimAF1SlimAF1 Blackburn
    edited July 2011
    That's what I thought, but the Laptop isn't that hot when it turns off, and why doesn't it overheat when it's running off the battery?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    Because when it's running on battery (assuming you haven't messed around with the settings) the CPU isn't allowed to run at full speed so it doesn't generate as much heat.

But I would also suggest running memtest on it and making sure your video card drivers are the most up-to-date.
    edited July 2011
    How do I run a memtest?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    First download and burn the ubuntu live cd. You can get it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Burn it to a disk then boot up with that disk in the drive and when it comes up you'll see an option to run memtest.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I'd prefer you download and burn UBCD so that you'll have other testing utilities already on hand, but to each his own. Memtest will be one of the boot options off the CD krysst mentioned, and a sub menu under Diagnostics --> Memory from mine.
    edited July 2011
    Will this erase anything from my computer??
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Neither of our recommendations will erase anything. There are other tools on UBCD (clearly labeled as data destruction) and if you installed Ubuntu to overwrite, they would ... but you won't be doing that because you'll just be testing memory and HDD functionality.