Lack of news ? No hype ?

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited July 2011 in Hardware
Is it me or there's little to no news to what's really going to be the next big step in the gaming video card battleground ?

I mean its deadly calm on this side, i think it's the first time that im in the complete black for a long time like that without knowing what's going to be next ;) No hype at all.

Maybe i'm just blind or i don't look at the good place.

What do you think ? :P

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Tahiti Pro
    Tahiti XT
    New Zealand

:hrm:
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    GooD wrote:

There is always something coming down the pipe, just have to know which portholes to view.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    GooD wrote:
    Is it me or there's little to no news to what's really going to be the next big step in the gaming video card battleground ?

I mean its deadly calm on this side, i think it's the first time that im in the complete black for a long time like that without knowing what's going to be next ;) No hype at all.

What do you think ? :P
    AMD and NVIDIA aren't talking features right now. As for release times I could be off by a bit, but if memory serves:
    AMD is projecting late 3Q.
    NVIDIA is projecting 1Q2012.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited July 2011
    Thank you for the info and the code names, helped me to find a bit more about what's coming and when we should expect it :P
    edited July 2011
    if you get bored, google search Dell Germany Vostro 3350 with the AMD HD7450M ;)

or just get Thrax drunk and feed him taco bell, he might leak some NDA haha
    edited July 2011
    LOL @ the Thrax trick :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I wish you didn't have to Google code names to find the info you were looking for :( Sorry our content stream and coverage have been so quiet lately :(
    edited July 2011
    No offence i still love this place ;) Even google has a hard time with most of them :)

I guess most of the times hype comes from "leaks" of information that AMD or NVIDIA doesnt want to get out there just yet. My guess is that this time the "seal" is tighter than usual , so props to AMD and NVIDIA and booh for me :p

But still, i managed to get some hype going thankx to you guys :P
    edited July 2011
    GooD wrote:
    No offence i still love this place ;) Even google has a hard time with most of them :)

I guess most of the times hype comes from "leaks" of information that AMD or NVIDIA doesnt want to get out there just yet. My guess is that this time the "seal" is tighter than usual , so props to AMD and NVIDIA and booh for me :p

But still, i managed to get some hype going thankx to you guys :P
    A lack of news doesn't equal a lack of enthusiasm for upcoming parts. It just means a lack of reputable (and non-NDA) information right now.
    edited July 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    A lack of news doesn't equal a lack of enthusiasm for upcoming parts. It just means a lack of reputable (and non-NDA) information right now.

Yeah maybe the word "hype" can be misreaded, or too strong for my meaning of it at least. Even without true solid information i can't wait to see "what's next", so the "hype" is there in a way even with the lack of news. Thank you for pointing that out :p

It's just (imo) more quiet than ever and this more than 6 month since the last "big" launch :P I've been reading tech news for more than 10 years now and it's i think the first time that i feel that absence of media coverage rate on what's next after that much time. Actual cards are still doing great tho so i can "understand" why its taking so much time before AMD and NVIDIA begin to talk more openly about the next gen. Still, I almost wished blindly "geez, can't MS throw a DX12 or something to gets things moving again" :P
    edited July 2011
    GooD wrote:
    Yeah maybe the word "hype" can be misreaded, or too strong for my meaning of it at least. Even without true solid information i can't wait to see "what's next", so the "hype" is there in a way even with the lack of news. Thank you for pointing that out :p

It's just (imo) more quiet than ever and this more than 6 month since the last "big" launch :P I've been reading tech news for more than 10 years now and it's i think the first time that low media coverage rate on what's next after that much time. Actual cards are still doing great tho so i can "understand" why its taking so much time before AMD and NVIDIA begin to talk more openly about the next gen. Still, I almost wished blindly "geez, can't MS throw a DX12 or something to gets things moving again" :P
    Oh, it'll get moving soon enough. Llano just came out on the mainstream end, Bulldozer and the next AMD GPUs will be here very soon, and Intel should release LGA2011 CPUs pretty soon too. It's just kind of a waiting game right now. They're timing it so we all spend our money for Christmas presents.
    edited July 2011
    ...and mertesn should finish his mini-itx APU write-up...
    edited July 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    ...and mertesn should finish his mini-itx APU write-up...
    ouch. I haven't forgotten about it. It just got buried under other work. It's going to get finished.
    edited July 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    They're timing it so we all spend our money for Christmas presents.

Did i say I hate marketing ? :buck: hah
    edited July 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    ouch. I haven't forgotten about it. It just got buried under other work. It's going to get finished.

send it to me, Ill put it to most excellent use

and write about the joys of it :D
    edited July 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    send it to me, Ill put it to most excellent use

and write about the joys of it :D

LOL you two seems to know each other a lot ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    There's always something.
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    There's always something.

I was wondering how long before you posted when I was doing "AMD HD7xxx" type things ;D
    edited July 2011
    First time I've seen this thread pop up. Dunno how I missed it.

The hardware industry is always working on very cool, very innovative things. Hell, with the sizes we can manufacture transistors at these days, computing is <i>more</i> dynamic and <i>more</i> versatile than it's ever been.

We're in the age where truly different, powerful solutions can be made for everything from the smartphone to the desktop.

Did you know the CPU in the iPad2 only needs to run at 100MHz to decode 1080p H.264 content? It's things like that that keep me so interested. This is an amazing time to be a hardware geek.
    edited July 2011
    Thx for the reply Thrax :)

"This is an amazing time to be a hardware geek."

Glad to hear it ! And no i didnt know about de ipad2 fact, quite impressive indeed :) Some people always want bigger numbers, what if we can do more with less, and then still keep the high numbers we have now, that's an interesting point of view too :P

Me ? I just love innovations, even risk at some point. That's when you mix both of them with good engineering that big technological jump are made !

So hell yeah, if it's a good time to be a hardware geek : well i can't wait to read about it :)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Just to add, think about the major focus shift for both these companies adjusting to. Mobile is the growing segment and it's probably going to slow the enthusiast desktop part cycle down a little from what we are used to as they shift to meet the growing demand that mobile customers are placing on chip makers. That's not to say we are not going to see frequent refreshes, I'm just saying the break neck pace they were on will probably slow a tad, as we see major advances in the quality mobile platforms offer. Expect to see major advances in the mobile space like we used to on desktop parts. I think the days of seeing a new high end graphics card every six months may be behind us, which is actually fine, a refresh once a year, or even every eighteen months will serve our market just fine.
    edited July 2011
    No slowdowns on our end. ;) But a new GPU every six months hasn't been true for several generations, now.
    edited July 2011
    Is AMD in the market of the "mobile" GPU ? Mobile like cellphone and tablet, not laptop. I know NVIDIA is, but never heard of it from AMD. Again it's not the kind of thing in realy interested about :P
    edited July 2011
    AMD has already come to market in an Acer tablet. There's also the Z-series APU, which is a low-watt variants of the AMD E-350 APU (Bobcat architecture) designed for tablets.

I cannot comment on further developments, because I just don't know what's cookin' down in Austin, TX.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    True about the six month cycle, I just think that's where allot of our expectations still are at. There was a period where it seemed like every few days the tech websites would have a new nugget on enthusiast graphics tech, and now, maybe once every couple of months you get something really interesting. You are right, it's been like that for a few cycles now.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I just don't know what's cookin' down in Austin, TX.

BBQ and beer. That is all you need to know.
    edited July 2011
    True about the six month cycle, I just think that's where allot of our expectations still are at. There was a period where it seemed like every few days the tech websites would have a new nugget on enthusiast graphics tech, and now, maybe once every couple of months you get something really interesting. You are right, it's been like that for a few cycles now.

I totally agree !

With that said, i still want my nugget :( lol