Newbie here needs help- upgraded processor; now harddrive not found....

orange-spitfireorange-spitfire Central Florida
edited July 2011 in Hardware
Hey all,
I just signed up and I already need help! I recently returned home after 5 months on the road to find that my PC (which I built several years ago) was choked with dust, pet dander and the like to the point that it fried the original processor. I had a Pentium P4 2.8Ghz in it and figured that I'd simply replace it with a P4 3.2Ghz processor which I purchased on Ebay. I have an Intel D865GBF motherboard in the system and 2 sticks of RAM which I'm not sure how big they are anymore but there is PLENTY, I know that. When I instaslled the new processor, I was told on the main screen that I had to move one stick of RAM to the B channel. A channel had to be identical to B channel (?). My hard drive now clicks upon startup and is not recognized anywhere in the bios. It is SATA controlled but this was not a problem before. can anyone give me any help as to what's going on and what i need to do to correct this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rob

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    If all it does is click, the disk is likely dead, but for what it's worth, it's almost assuredly completely coincidental with your upgrade.