Thunderbolt randomly shuts off at night.

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
No idea what is going on with it. I am rooted with android 2.2.1, Baseband 1.16.00.0223r, and kernel 2.6.32.21. I have done some research on the subject and have found no solution. I have also seen people with stock phones, rooted phones, different kernels and updates having the same problem and just wondering if any fellow IC members are having the same issue. It mainly occurs at night between the hours of 3am and 11am EST regardless of how full the battery is.

Seems pretty crappy that we paid a premium price for a phone that shuts off randomly. :mad:

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    It's apparently a hardware issue. Mine didn't do this for the first couple of weeks and has started now.

I've heard reports of flashing the radio to a 2.5 radio making a difference, but haven't done that myself.

I can go literally 2 or 3 weeks without a restart and then get two or three in a day.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Is it actually a power off, or a sleep of death?
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Is it actually a power off, or a sleep of death?

It's hard to tell sometimes for me. If I had to take a guess, it looks like a power off. Most of the time the only way I can tell is that my playlist disappears from the music player widget.

It can be directly in the middle of opening a program, or just sitting there playing music through the default player or TinyShark (I've had this one happen more than once while in the car. Really, really annoying).
    edited August 2011
    Sounds like the phone is rebooting, not turning off. Yes?
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:

Not for me. It is in a state where I have to press and hold the power button to turn it back on.
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:

That would be fair to say for me. Not for Sonorous.
    edited August 2011
    It's worth saying that updating the TB's baseband is very much worth doing. As usual, make sure your ROM actually supports the baseband you're flashing, but it's reported to make a huge difference.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Where is the best place to get baseband updates? XDA?
    edited August 2011
    Yes, just keep in mind that MR2.x is only for Gingerbread ROMs, so make sure you have one of those in tow before you go. Also be sure to do research about any potential conflicts with your hboot version.