Warhammer 40000: Space Marine will own your face

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Awesome!
  • edited August 2011
    I was a fan of your earlier programs, Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soul Storm. However, since you have involved yourself with STEAM, which is required to run the DOW 2 games, You have screwed up royally, and I will never buy another game from your company as long as you remain with this band of cut throats, rip offs and incompetents. I am spreading this news all over FB, Twitter, wherever and on HAM radio. I have lost too much money to your darling STEAM to ever trust you or these guys again. I leave you my number in case you should want to contact me by phone, I will gladly argue the point with you. Telephone
    828-559-0469 anytime you chose.
    Have a good day and thanks for ruining a perfectly good series of games.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Look out, world, Steam is a terrible platform, and everyone on HAM radio will know about it!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Gary,

I have a few friends that refuse to install games that tie to any online platform. Mostly older guys that just don't trust it for whatever reason. What issue do you take with Steam? My experience has been largely positive.
  • edited August 2011
    err What problems do you have with Steam? It works really well for me and the purchase and download process is quick, easy and fast.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. This game will rule you.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Wow. Ham Radio.
    edited August 2011
    In the grim darkness of the future there is only Q code.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Wow. Ham Radio.

You can use Ham Radio to connect to the internet, so really he means ALL THE PEOPLE!
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    If I had the money, I'd jump on the CE just for the sexy purity seal.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I can't believe people still hate Steam. Steam is the best thing that ever happened to PC gaming.

Those "cut throats, rip offs and incompetents" are guilty of giving excellent deals like $5 games that are still selling at Wal-Mart for $50, and a quick and easy download service, and an integrated friends/community feature that makes joining games extremely easy.

I used to play a lot of Dawn of War before it was on Steam. I had tremendous difficulty getting connected to matches with friends. We even had issues with same-room LAN games almost every time. There would always be at least one person who couldn't get in. Steam made connecting matches in DoW2 seamless and easy, and is a huge step up from the GFWL program that was needed before it.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    GFWL, don't get me started on that. I've gotten in enough trouble ragining about products and services I don't care for lately!

It's not so much GFWL, its that I wish that overlay / service could be bypassed if I'm buying the game from Steam, obviously because I want it to mesh with the Steam community features.

Off topic, I know, but I could not help it. Damn you Codemasters! You make so many beautiful racing games with enfuritating GFWL features that screw up the experience on the front end! NERD RAGE!!!!

Quick, someone get my Ham Radio!
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    GFWL was a disaster, but at least it wasn't Gamespy Arcade. :/
    edited August 2011
    Gate28 wrote:
    If I had the money, I'd jump on the CE just for the sexy purity seal.

The Purity Seal is awesome. It should stick to a case door without problems as long as you have a steel chassis. The detail on it is striking. Pretty sweet because it includes the whole quote.

"They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me.
    Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them.
    They will be of iron will and steely muscle.
    In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed.
    They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them.
    They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle.
    They are my bulwark against the Terror.
    They are the Defenders of Humanity.
    They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear."
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2011
    I had the chance to play the game for about 15 minutes at gencon. It's fun, it moves well, it looks good and it has a good feel to it.

That being said. I'm holding out for GoW3. I think it'll be a stronger game, a better single and solo play advantage and go farther for gaming dollars.
    edited August 2011
    That's Space Marine's biggest challenge. GoW3 is an established franchise with a way bigger budget to go to market with. I think the benefit for Space Marine is it being multi-platform and that it allows (supposedly) 5 players instead of GoW's 4 players in co-op.

My biggest hope for Space Marine is that they'll go totally balls-to-the-wall with DLC and we'll end up with a new version of Space Hulk out of it. Imagine a modern system with 5-player co-op as Terminators grinding a Tyranid-infested ghost ship! It's entirely possible.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in the article is Space Marine is Eyefinity compatible. They said it'll support up to six monitors (probably in a 3x2 setup). I'm all for that.
    edited August 2011
    I can't figure out why they would release it 2 weeks before Gears. I mean a month before sure. But 2 weeks, seems silly. The shame is that Space Marine is a really good game, I had my doubts initially but the demo rocked. It just didn't rock enough to make me want to run out for this and not wait for GoW3.

The biggest hurt in all of this is simply a pricing thing. When games were $49 or $59 it wasn't as big of a deal. But when games are launching for $69 now I gotta cut back.
    edited August 2011
    It's $49.99 on Steam ;) And I'm pretty sure it'll be offered on a solid discount on release day.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Great review Buddy J! Totally jealous of your trip and Sledge's chainsword.
    Buddy J wrote:
    Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in the article is Space Marine is Eyefinity compatible. They said it'll support up to six monitors (probably in a 3x2 setup). I'm all for that.

And I just got my third monitor, ho ho ho.

How are the mouse/keyboard controls?
    edited August 2011
    Get the demo on Steam and try it!

I will probably be remapping the keys when I get the full version. For the PC, it's WASD to move. Right click and left click shoot and do melee respectively.
    R- reloads
    E- executes
    F- stuns.
    Q- throws a grenade
    T- pops your Fury.

This leads to the problem of trying to D-strafe right while attacking. You can't stun or execute while hitting move buttons. I need to bind that stuff to my mouse or something.

While I hate aiming with a console controller, I find myself shooting much more with the PC version. So the game paradigm has shifted while I find myself trying to relearn melee.

In the console version, it's so easy to chain attacks. On the PC, I'm having a harder time staying alive because I keep screwing up the Attack, Stun, Execute combo needed to keep your health full. The difference is crazy and will take some time to get used to.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Saw the trailer for this at the cinema last night, must admit, it looks damn good.
    Buddy J wrote:
    My biggest hope for Space Marine is that they'll go totally balls-to-the-wall with DLC and we'll end up with a new version of Space Hulk out of it.
    Do want.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Yes, it's competing with GoW, but do you think the possible influx of the tabletop community will help with adoption? I mean, Warhammer as a franchise and a community is way, way deeper than GoW.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    That's what's getting me into it. I don't have much interest in this genre of consoly games like GoW (and don't have the consoles to play them, anyway). DoW had solid storytelling for its genre, and it's the Warhammer 40k universe that's drawing me in here, too.
    edited August 2011
    Hard to say because a lot of the people that like the Tabletop like GoW 3 and the same bunch that likes the Tabletop could condem the video game for not being enough like the tabletop so that can often be a double edge sword.

My bigger fear is that Space Marine is going to feel like a pretty repetative game. I have this suspicion (which I hope is proven wrong) that you are basically just moving forward level after level and killing everything in sight that charges you. Based on what I've played usually you get off a few shots and then get mobbed and go to hand-to-hand, which looks awesome BTW.

However if that's the game, beyond level changes the flow gets dull. I mean I played 10+hrs in the the XBLA SpaceMarine game and it's fun. But not deep. Move forward kill everything in site.

GoW differs in that cover tactics and what your team is doing make a huge difference. Also the level design I suspect will be more varied and I believe a better story overall.

I mean Deus Ex looks awesome and gives you (by all accounts) a very solid RPG/Shooter experience. GoW3 is a pretty known entity. Then you have Space Marine sitting in the middle separating both titles by a couple weeks.

Thinking only of my buying habits I can pick up Deus now, play the hell out of it until Gears comes out and never even blink that I missed Space Marine in the middle. Then wait till it drops in price and I suspect it's going to drop fast. Because for as popular as the tabletop game is. There are more people playing Gears then the tabletop.

It's just bad timing. Though after Gears we've got Batman coming out then Skyrim after that. What they should have done is launched Space Marine about a month ago.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    feel like a pretty repetative game.

Like GoW?
    edited August 2011
    There are plenty of "pacing" levels in SM. We played through a few of them at THQ. In one level I only killed 2 shoota boyz because it was more about exploring the titan factory than just killing hordes.
    edited August 2011
    That's good to know because the stuff I've played so far has been pretty repetitive. Do you know if there are any branching missions where you at least can choose left tunnel vs right tunnel?
    edited August 2011
    Pretty sure it's linear :( Dunno for sure, but that's my impression.
  • edited August 2011
    Greetings.

I was wondering. For the multiplayer part will Pc, Xbox360 and Ps3 players, play on same server. Or will none of them be playing together on same severs.

Or will Pc and Xbox360 be playing on same Servers and ps3 on there own servers?

Hope you reply back, as I haven't been able to find any information about this.

Thanks
    Cookie
    edited August 2011
    They haven't really answered the question but from the looks of things you won't be playing on cross-platform servers. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got from playing it.