Updating Between CyanogenMod Nightly Builds

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
So, I have that nicely tuned CyanogenMod 7 Nightly 2011-06-23 and wondered what I needed to do to move to a newer build? Total backup or just grab the latest zipped build and put it on the SD card and do the update?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Just grab the latest nightly to SD, then reboot to recovery. Make a backup, wipe cache+dalvik cache, then flash the zip.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I bookmarked the following page http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=vision on my phone browser. Then you can keep track of what is in the new versions and if you need to update. Click the .zip hyperlink and it will download straight on the phone. When the download it done, pull your notification bar down and click it. If you have ROM Manager installed, it will launch with it. There will be an option to install the rom and clear the cache. Your phone will then reboot, clear cache, install, and reboot into the new version. Easy as pie :)
    edited August 2011
    Flashing from ROM Manager is generally not a good idea vs. recovery, as Dalvik Cache should also be cleared, and performing the update from ROM Manager does not do that. There's also a lot that can go wrong in transitioning an update script from live Android to recovery.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    ROM Manager does, in fact, have an option to clear the Dalvik cache during a flash.
    edited August 2011
    You're right. I had my wipes reversed.

It has an option to wipe Dalvik, but you can't wipe CACHE (vastly more important) without wiping DATA (factory reset).

Bad news bears.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    See... the thread is not cut and dry. It's a learning experience!
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    You're right. I had my wipes reversed.

It has an option to wipe Dalvik, but you can't wipe CACHE (vastly more important) without wiping DATA (factory reset).

Bad news bears.

...which is why my first suggestion to perform the update through recovery is still the safest/best way.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    how often should one update CM7?
    edited August 2011
    I only update if something interesting appears for my device on http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/, otherwise I leave it alone.

T-Mo G2 = Vision
    EVO 4G = Supersonic
    Nook = Encore
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Where do you make the backup to? Not been in recovery yet, just tell it to backup and it goes where it should? :)

Ok, yep it just backs up.
    edited August 2011
    Yup. Automagic to SD.