NVIDIA Tesla at SIGGRAPH 2011 and the multi-monitor question

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I'm rather curious about what they have coming that will blow Eyefinity "out of the water". I'm dubious, but always looking forward to the next big thing.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I'm with Tushon here. Indulge me, NVIDIA. Because I'd like to see what would be better than Eyefinity at the same price point.

I can just see it now...

Introducing NVIDIA Pylon, the new revolutionary technical breakthrough that allows you up not three, but three HUNDRED displays! Finally, a multi-monitor technology that will make Eyefinity users green with envy (SEE WHAT WE DID THERE, A PUN, WE SO WITTY)! When you purchase a NVIDIA Pylon-certified display, you're getting a display with a built-in NVIDIA GPU that scales indefinitely! Prices for these displays start at the low, low price of $2200! :D:D:D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    (in b4 7 monitors)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    In after 36 monitors. ;)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Their solution for blowing current multi-monitor technology out of the water is more than likely a DisplayPort 1.2 implementation.

Old.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    *SPOILER ALERT*
    I actually was exposed to Nvidia's technology that is blowing multi-monitor usage out of the water. It is an entire visual response system that basically gives you 360 degrees of visual usage along with 3D.
    Custom input systems allow you to control the complete 3D, full range of vision, experience. It's nothing short of amazing, you can have a glimpse
    here

Edit: Forgot to mention it will be installed exclusively by geeksquad
    edited August 2011
    You know what, all kidding aside, I would love to have a 5760x1200 curved display. One single bezel, but wraps around in an arced shape. I hear they're becoming reality, if not already happened. If that's the case, now make them sub-$1000.
    edited August 2011
    that was lulzy, pirate.

I just want some Minority report style stuff to become ultra real. We have some hints and snippets, but I want the whole experience.
    edited August 2011
    Actually, I've talked with companies that have done that. The reason they don't pursue it further is because everyone that uses it complains of eventual hand fatigue. It's flashy, it's cool, but apparently it's impractical enough that they don't push to market it.

Hopefully with the broad acceptance of tech like Kinect, gesture-based interfaces will develop to something as sexy as Minority Report, while still being practical. That would be awesome.
    edited August 2011
    I imagine part of the hand fatigue comes from making major gestures (i.e. large or definite gestures with only hands, not stuff involving arm/body movement) repeatedly. Hopefully, detection tech can get better and we'll be able make more minor movements while accomplishing the same goals.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Bandrik wrote:
    You know what, all kidding aside, I would love to have a 5760x1200 curved display. One single bezel, but wraps around in an arced shape. I hear they're becoming reality, if not already happened. If that's the case, now make them sub-$1000.

Panel vendors are mostly in a race to the bottom. Not in the next 10 years, I'd bet.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    There was this one... but that's 2880x900. Still, it's curvy, seamless, and impressive.
    edited August 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    There was this one... but that's 2880x900. Still, it's curvy, seamless, and impressive.

P0oHo.jpg

Yep, that's EXACTLY what I want. To take it a step further, I would like a display similar to that, but larger, and for it to be a flexible AMOLED display. Those flexible displays can even roll up like a newspaper, so it shouldn't be terribly difficult to ask for a curved display similar to the Alienware one.

Of course, the only barring issue at this point is... sigh... the price.
  • edited September 2011
    Pirate, that was great