HP Touchpad

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Hardware
They're going to do another run of the Touchpad. If they keep it at the same price point, I will be ordering one the second they're available.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    They're only manufacturing around 100k, so I wish you the very best of luck.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    That's disappointing. I had hoped to hear of more. I would even consider purchasing them for a bit more. 7-9" is ideal to me.

Edit: I've seen you talk about the Nook Color. Does it suffice as a cheaper tablet if you root/mod it?
    edited August 2011
    The Nook Color is everything I could want out of a tablet. It's cheap, it's portable, the TSA won't make you take it out of your luggage, it's sufficiently powerful to run anything I throw at it, it has great battery life and it will only get faster with the source code release of Android's next version, which will bring a hardware-accelerated UI to any hackable device.
    edited August 2011
    Do you use it for reading at all (as it's "intended" purpose)? I'm torn between getting an eInk screen and something along these lines. I do a ton of reading of both websites and books and I've been itching to move into the eReader side of things.
    edited August 2011
    I read 60-90 minutes a night with it. I've never read more in my entire life. It's so convenient to have hundreds of books right at my fingertips.

I like eInk, and I think it's a great technology, but if I was going to get a tablet-shaped device, it had to do more than read books. The Nook was the perfect solution. It satisfied my eReader want, completely obsoleted my Netbook, and has almost entirely replaced my work laptop when traveling.
    edited August 2011
    That's good to hear. I'm looking for something like that. If it's comfortable to read on one, then I think its possible I'd get one around the holidays. My biggest fear was the LCD/Brightness killing me for reading for a long duration.
    edited August 2011
    The cool thing about the Nook, and the Aldiko application I use to read .epub files, is that you can control the brightness on the fly. If I read before bed, I turn the brightness to minimum. It's perfectly readable, but it doesn't sear my eyeballs.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I tried to get in on the HP Touchpad deal, but it was a bust. Now i am waiting to see what Amazon has up it's sleeve.
  • edited September 2011
    I got two. One for me, one for my wife. I love my Touchpad. I like Webos more than iOS. I'm really disappointed that this is probably the end for that platform.