Asus G72 Cooling

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited September 2011 in Hardware
My G72 had been acting up for a few days so I finally decided to do something about it. I opened it up and cleaned everything out and took out a ton of dust from the insides of the fan vents. It's performing a lot better and it's a lot quieter but temps aren't as low as I'd like them to be. The fan itself looks pretty lousy but it's got a weird shape so I'm having trouble figuring out if I could replace it with a fan of better quality. Does anyone know of something I could replace it with? For reference, here's the fan that's currently in there:
http://www.laptoprepairco.com/itemdetails/itemdetails.asp?ref=723&category=fan

Also, do you guys think they used paste or tape for the heat sink contacts? Would reseating with some Artic Silver help a tremendous amount (2-4 C ish).

PS, Are there any other options for internal cooling? I'm trying to stay away from external cooling pads, but I'll take suggestions on pads that you guys think perform very well.

Comments

• RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Paste. AS5 has been reported to have massive effects, mainly because Asus slapped the G72 together and shipped it without testing jack first. (The number of issues people have with it are mind-blowing, especially when you consider they insist that it's still a 'great laptop.' Defective from day one is not great, guys.)

The fan is a Delta KSB06105HB, which is a semi-standard part (used by Asus, HP, a few others.) 75mm x 70mm x 16mm. The problem is that the specs aren't published anywhere, and the question isn't "will an uprated fan help" but rather "just how BADLY did Asus underspec the fan?" (Answer? REAL badly.) I'd say one of the Sunon Maglev family fans would directly swap and might improve performance, but without the mechanical data sheet, no way to tell for sure.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the detailed answer RootWyrm. I've had so many problems with this laptop that I really regret getting it but I bought it when it first came out so I didn't have much in terms of reviews and such to base my decision off of. It was a great value for the hardware if it wasn't filled with issues. So far I've had the fan actually fail completely while the laptop was still under warranty. I had to ship it to Asus (and they said apparently they had to replace the entire motherboard. The process took about 3 weeks. The memory seems to be giving me problems now and the hard drive is awfully loud. Sorry to digress on my own thread but if anyone is thinking of buying this I would strongly suggest they go a different way.