Need suggestions

Slayer5227Slayer5227 Elkridge Member
edited September 2011 in Hardware
I am going to be ordering the bulldozer probably day one it comes out and the cooler I have now for my CPU is decent but I want to have a bulldozer and not melt the side of my case off. Any suggestions as to what I should get? Money is no matter.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If money is no object, you want the Noctua NH-D14, the Thermaltake Frio OCK or the Prolimatech Genesis.
  • Slayer5227Slayer5227 Elkridge Member
    edited September 2011
    I'm 16 year old with no bills and a good paying job, I have more money then I know what to do with it xDDDD I'll look into those guys, thanks.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    If money is no object, you want the Noctua NH-D14, the Thermaltake Frio OCK or the Prolimatech Genesis.

thermaltake? really?

is this one of those they used to suck now they are good stories?
    edited September 2011
    No, it's one of those "they usually suck, but this one is nice" stories.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Consider the size of the board and side panel clearance on the case. I think a couple of those will be a little too large given the clearance you will have, and also considering the matx form factor you are working with. In your case, I'd also make sure I had the option to mount an air cooler so it could exhaust vertically taking advantage of that big top mounted fan.

Direct touch heat pipes are all the rage, they normally perform the best. Personally, when I look for a cooler for my own builds I like to strike a balance between performance, weight, and ease of installation. I like to replace my CPU every year or so, and between that time, I might pull it to re apply the thermal compound. So, if its requires allot of work to remove the cooler, I'm generally against it, even if it can keep my CPU a whole two degrees cooler and boost my overclock a whopping 40 megahertz. (sarcasm intended). Consider the balance of everything you may want, and not just which giant monster performs the best.

You could also consider one of these little nifty self contained water coolers?
    edited September 2011
    Things that would be relevant to this discussion: he has an mATX case.
  • Slayer5227Slayer5227 Elkridge Member
    edited September 2011
    I have a Antec P180 mini case I believe is what it is called. Is that water cooler just like a normal cpu cooler just hook up the power from the power supply and mount it or is there something special I need to do?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Slayer5227 wrote:
    I have a Antec P180 mini case I believe is what it is called. Is that water cooler just like a normal cpu cooler just hook up the power from the power supply and mount it or is there something special I need to do?

You replace your rear 120 mm fan with the radiator, and the fan blows across the radiator and out the case. If there is enough room, you can actually mount two fans and get a little extra cooling in in a push/pull configuration. The two tubes are connected to a water block that goes to the CPU.