Sudden raise in temps?

ReignReign New York
edited July 2003 in Hardware
Well when i first installed my SLK-800 about two weeks ago... i've been getting a nice 38-39C CPU temp. Now for the past week i've been getting 42-45C CPU temps. The system temps have been the same. did the arctic silver stop working or something?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Did you check for dust? The SLK-800 has fairly closely-spaced fins, and they might be clogged with dust.

Another concern may be your system's ambient temperature. With the onset of summer here, my ambient temp went up about 3C, and so did the processor temp. You may be seeing something similar.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Take the off HSF, clean the thermal paste with some alcohol, clean the dust of the HSF and fan, reapply a thin amount of thermal paste, put the HSF and viola!.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited June 2003
    throw it all away and buy new stuff.
    edited June 2003
    croc_ said
    throw it all away and buy new stuff.

;D;D;D

Because the SLK-800 is so archaic, right? ;)

But if you do choose to go this route, make sure you "throw it away" by mailing it to me!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Reign,

I see that you are folding. (good man!)
    Can it be that you have been getting gromacs wu´s in the past week? They do raise the loadtemps by up to 5c even. It happened on my airsetup and i´m sure others can verify this as well.
    Dust cannot just raise the temps that much within that short of time, the system temps would have been higher as well in that case.

Test this:

Shut down f@h (god forbid)
    Load Prime95 for 2 hours and have the tempmonitor open and see what the temps are.

croc_,

I hope that post was a mistake.

Mac
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    Mackanz said
    Reign,

I see that you are folding. (good man!)
    Can it be that you have been getting gromacs wu´s in the past week? They do raise the loadtemps by up to 5c even. It happened on my airsetup and i´m sure others can verify this as well.
    Dust cannot just raise the temps that much within that short of time, the system temps would have been higher as well in that case.

Test this:

Shut down f@h (god forbid)
    Load Prime95 for 2 hours and have the tempmonitor open and see what the temps are.

croc_,

I hope that post was a mistake.

Mac

That JUST might be it. My system tends to be folding nothing but gromacs. But i will try to reapply that thermal paste and blow the dust out for safe measures.

Close folding for 2 hours? Blasphemy I say!

You must be going mad. Have a glass of shine and forget you even said that. ;D:fold:
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Do what I did for the summer, buy a portable air conditioning unit. It was primarily for keeping me cool because it gets insanely hot in my room, but my computer keeps nice and cool with a room temperature of 17ºC.
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    I have an airconditioner primarily for my room and it gets about 65-70F in my room with it.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    A nice piece of dust could have done that. If it was big enough. My temps gradually rise because of dust buildup. I just wish it could handle a bit more than ~50C.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    mmonnin said
    A nice piece of dust could have done that. If it was big enough. My temps gradually rise because of dust buildup. I just wish it could handle a bit more than ~50C.

If the dust buildup is on the hs/fan, the system temp has to be higher thanks to the dust as well. In his case, it wasn´t.
    edited July 2003
    I dunno about that, most of the slots on the intake/exhaust fans are a LOT wider than the fins on an SLK series heatsink... it's a lot easier for dust to build up in an SLK than the front of a case.
  • ReignReign New York
    edited July 2003
    I honestly doubt i built up that much dust in 2 weeks. My old heatsink went monthes before it needed cleaning fromt he dust. I'm sure Mackanz was right on when he said it's the gromacs.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    troost me...ive seen reigns room...this dudes mom is like cinderella on PC-friggin-P..she cleans 24/7...there is not a spec of dirt ANYWHERE...and i mean ANYWHERE... Also there isnt any carpet in his room...so the dust doesnt get trapped there. So it seems that mackanz is right....
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    not to be too simple, but you did check the fan?
    I have had fans start 'runnunig slow' prior to their final demise.
    If you hear any variation in the sound (pitch) of the fan replace it.
  • ReignReign New York
    edited July 2003
    Brand new fan... very doubtful.

When i have the urge to turn it off my comp... i'll check then.