Laptop video cable

edited September 2011 in Hardware
I'm replacing the covers on a toshiba m305 and wonder if anyone knows how the video cable is supposed to be threaded past the hinge so that the cover and bezel don't rub on it of try to split apart every time you ope/close the cover.

Seems simple, but alas . . .

tia,

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Changing laptop covers / screens is not a job for the faint of heart.

That cable should have some sort of protective clear plastic sleeve, or light gold color tape wrapped around it.

Regarding the exact positioning of the cable, you would need to refer to the service manual for that.
    I am not going to endorse this website at all, but a quick Google search brings this up:
    http://toshiba.laptopmanualvault.com/Toshiba-Satellite-M305-Service-Manual.html

If you ask me it is worth the $5 to risk and see what they are offering because it could save your buns.

Good luck, cheers, and welcome to Icrontic.
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks, the cable is as it was installed by Toshiba interm of coverings.

I tried the manual. very generic for "m300" models. No pics at all, only vector drawings. Nothing about routing wires. Win some lose some.

The way Toshiba originally had the wire routed, it rubbed on the bezel/cover curved tabes that cover over the hinge area. This caused the tabs to split aprat when you opened/closed, which put lateral stress on the threaded brass inserts inserts that hold the hinge screws are fastened to. The stress broke the inserts lose and the cover was then junk. I replaced the cover but figured there must have been some sane plane for rotuing the wire to avoid this problem recurring.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Sorry the guide didn't work out for you =\

I think you are left to your own ingenuity here as the design seems pretty poor to begin with, like many laptop hinge designs are (or used to be).

I tried to find a place you can find that cable protection tape from, but I couldn't after a quick search. Still, take a look at this cable:
    http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/220-67790-11522/Toshiba-Satellite-M300-Series-LCD-Cable-14-.html
    See the protective layering it has? That's your best bet.
    pchub is awesome for cheap little parts like this by the way.

Good luck
  • edited September 2011
    Yes, thanks. That's what my cable has/is like.

It's not that the cable is wearing; it's that it makes the cover/bezel tabs split apart when moving the lid --which stresses the screew mounts. I think I might just cut the tabs off the bezel and cover, that will leave the hinge exposed but allowthe lid to move freely. The darn things are only decorative anyhow-- the cover over the hinge opening.

thanks again your time and attention,