Amazon just destroyed the tablet market as we know it

2»

Comments

• RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    "We will establish a secure connection from the cloud to the site owner on your behalf for page requests of sites using SSL" That's a direct quote from Amazon. That means Amazon will get to see the entire contents of every SSL connection. That also presumes they don't block other browsers, which is as a matter of fact, quite easy to do.

By your logic, we should all just give out our real name, driver's license, credit card numbers and social security numbers to everyone on the street. Or just post them on Facebook. How about instead of making more excuses for companies that pay more for lawyers per year than you will ever make in your whole life, you put in some time and effort to make yourself aware of what options you DO have to maintain privacy and employ them.
    Privacy isn't dead. But apparently being willing to give up some convenience in exchange for privacy means you're an idiot, and is completely and totally pointless. So you should just give them everything they ask for unopposed and never question them. Because, you know, there isn't a long list of them that have been investigated and forced to change their policies when large numbers of users complain.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    So the enthusiast market just got a huge boost:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/29/thinking-about-rooting-the-kindle-fire-amazon-wont-put-up-a-fight-to-stop-you/

Amazon has gone on record stating that they won't try to stop rooting. "It's going to get rooted, and what you do after you root it is up to you"

They just sold 2 to me for that.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If it's got an unlocked bootloader, I can see no reason not to get one of these.
    edited September 2011
    That hasn't been mentioned yet. But it seems as though this would be a device you'd expect to be unlocked.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Amazon will not want you to root it. I'm fairly certain at $199 they can't be making any real money on the hardware. It's priced to position them for the content sales, where the real money is at.

It sounds like, "we are not going to invest any time and money stopping it" vs. "root away kids!"
    edited September 2011
    They're both functionally the same.
    edited September 2011
    They're both functionally the same.

^ This.

How is not investing development time and resources not the same as saying "Root away?"

Maybe from a PR perspective it's different...
    edited September 2011
    ^ This.

How is not investing development time and resources not the same as saying "Root away?"

Maybe from a PR perspective it's different...

I'm just saying, I don't think they really want you to root it taking their content delivery model off the unit. They are not selling the Kindle Fire for $199 to be in the hardware buisness, they are selling it to gain in the content delivery buisness.

Ultimately, people that will root it will be a small percentage of the total ownership. Aparently Jeff Bezos Momma taught him the same leasson mine taught me, "Choose your battles Son"
    edited September 2011
    I'm just saying, I don't think they really want you to root it taking their content delivery model off the unit. They are not selling the Kindle Fire for $199 to be in the hardware buisness, they are selling it to gain in the content delivery buisness.

Ultimately, people that will root it will be a small percentage of the total ownership. Aparently Jeff Bezos Momma taught him the same leasson mine taught me, "Choose your battles Son"

You're just saying that you didn't have a point? I never said everyone would root, only that the ability to root and get a fully working tablet is a huge deal to me.
    edited September 2011
    You're just saying that you didn't have a point? I never said everyone would root, only that the ability to root and get a fully working tablet is a huge deal to me.

My point is this. Amazon did not make the Kindle to be rooted just to be nice to you, but you are a big a pain in the ass to fight with so they are just going to let it slide....:p
    edited September 2011
    My point is this. Amazon did not make the Kindle to be rooted just to be nice to you, but you are a big a pain in the ass to fight with so they are just going to let it slide....:p

I understand what you're saying, but functionally they're no different. I think they're likely indifferent with regards to rooting. At the very least it gives the enthusiast market a reason to support the thing, thus capturing a small (but willing to shell out some money) community on top of the el-cheapo segment of society.

TL;DR It's a good move on there part and will likely garner some support from a hard to please, hard to reach community.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    It plays in the space that most people care about. It browses the web, emails, reads, plays music and video, offers casual games. It does all this, its priced right (its an impulse buy at $199), it has the worlds finest digital content distribution model behind it with fuss free cloud storage. The Kindle Fire is going to change everything.

THIS.

The Kindle Fire is going to make a large impact in the market because it hits a great price point, and Amazon is going to back it up with its content delivery system.

The iPad would never have succeeded on hardware and OS alone if "there wasn't an app for that" - and just as Cliff said, the Kindle Fire is going to deliver to the user the functionality that is most desired on a consumer tablet, backed up by Amazon's content delivery service, including the Amazon Appstore for Android. Even though Amazon has carefully sandboxed the environment, they're doing so in a way that is most advantageous to Amazon - but also advantageous to the user, in so far as the user experience will be exactly what average consumers desire.